Chavez

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

DriftSpace

Chavez

Post by DriftSpace »

I'm not surprised that nobody has mentioned this band here during the many years which this forum has been active, but Scott Marshall (son of Hollwood producer Gary Marshall, and nephew of Penny Marshall) plays a FireGlo 4001S in the band Chavez.

Chavez was one of my favorite bands during the 90's, and I always find myself going back to their albums a few times a year. Unfortunately, I was too young to see them before they broke-up, and haven't really had the drive (or funds) to travel to see them during their recent reunion. I particularly enjoy the usage of the bass in this band, which may be considered underused by many pop/rock music fans; Chavez have a habit of just dropping the bass completely out of the mix for several measures (or entire phrases/sections) and bringing it back for added depth/drama.

This is odd music to the uninitiated, to be sure; Chavez often sounds like a pop band which hates pop music; it's kind of like an entire band inspired by the same feeling which caused Jonny Greenwood to do the now-famous "cha-chunk" in Radiohead's "Creep." Careful listeners will definitely hear some King Crimson influence, in the same vein that Sonic Youth was influenced by King Crimson.

If you enjoy noisy, often dissonant, sometimes haphazard songs with some bizarre changes and the occasional odd time signature: Chavez might be to your liking. This was definitely another band which reinforced my love of that RIC bass tone, even if it's often buried beneath squealing, fuzzy guitars.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”