Thoughts on a 340 vs. 330 Ric

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

electrofaro

Re: Thoughts on a 340 vs. 330 Ric

Post by electrofaro »

JackAlan wrote:Didn't get the 340. Was reasonable until the last minute of the auction.
Jack, what was the auction ID? What year, state of the guitar?
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Rickygirl wrote:
8mileshigher wrote:Wow, $2400 for a 340 ! ? :roll:
For that kind of money, one should be able to get a Double Bound ...
...Rich, you sound like another Forum member from So Cal.......:mrgreen:

(Actually I have become a bit of a double bound convert myself to be honest, but don't have one yet)
The Double Bound fever is contagious .... :wink: :D
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

On the same day that a 340 sold for over $2,400, a mint condition 325 sold for $1,924, with only 2 bidders.

Unfortunately, I was the first bidder, and had to leave the house with 20 minutes to go...

Go figure!
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Wildberry wrote:
JackAlan wrote:Didn't get the 340. Was reasonable until the last minute of the auction.
Jack, what was the auction ID? What year, state of the guitar?
Werner - I think that it was this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-34 ... 4aadc1e780

But there is still this one available for $1999.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-34 ... 120wt_1397
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

godber wrote:Werner - I think that it was this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-34 ... 4aadc1e780
Thanks, Mark. I've never been a big fan of 330/340 in JG - it just lacks something; with a MG or FG I don't have this feeling.

There were a couple (2 or 3) in the UK for sale as well. All around 1400 GBP as BIN. I didn't track them. If prices stay this way I'm going to put my 340 FG on eBay as well! :mrgreen:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I personally do not care for the factory wiring of a 320, 340 or 370 with the neck and middle pickups wired together on the "up" position of the selector switch. To me the sound is diffuse, indistinct, lacking character. So I developed my wiring mods to give more meaning to that middle pickup, while retaining the stock functions of the controls, which the older "5th knob mod" did not. If you get a 340, let me know and I'll send you a copy of my wiring mods.
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

Am I missing something here? I just got a qoute for a brand new Rick 330 Fire Glo from North Coast Music for $1449.00.

Glenn
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

I have a '68 375 O.S. and it does take some getting used to playing with the middle pickup. I was battling with it for a while soundwise (too much like a strat as some folks have said), but made it stock again and have grown to love it. It certainly sounds much different than any other Rick I've had.
Rick375.jpg
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

chucksimms wrote:I have a '68 375 O.S. and it does take some getting used to playing with the middle pickup. I was battling with it for a while soundwise (too much like a strat as some folks have said), but made it stock again and have grown to love it. It certainly sounds much different than any other Rick I've had.
Rick375.jpg
Chuck, that is a nice lustre in that FireGlo and the small headstock is classic ! :)
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

It is an amazing piece, and the finish is stunning. It's actually the best playing Rick (if you like slim necks, '68/'69 are great years) I have but as soon as I got it I decided I couldn't gig with it. There's a few little nicks in the headstock but otherwise in excellent shape. Super low action and fast neck. Really gets the Lennon and CCR sounds when I play it at home.
I LOVE '60s Ricks. The one I'm gigging with right now is a '69 375 O.S. refinished by our own Paul W. several years ago.
JackAlan

Post by JackAlan »

Sorry Mark,

I was gone till this morning and didn't want to snub your question. Yep, that was the one for sure on the 340 on ebay. It was just like watching a cab meter run in Washington DC. (you know dollars change with every foot the cab goes). :D

I will maybe list my 2001 330 JG on ebay as things must be hot right now. Guitars are going for stupid prices. I was looking at a Gibby J-45 Custom and a Hummingbird. I bought a new Custom for less than the used ones were selling for. And the birds are about the same.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Jack
I learned everything I know about treating people from my Dog
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

JackAlan wrote:Hi everyone,
I was looking at a used 340 Ric in nice shape and was wondering what say ye about the 340 vs. a 330?
Any good/bad things to say about a 340? Also, do they hold their value as well as a 330
Thanks for any info so I don't make me a mistake!!
Jack

Hi Jack,
Have had a 370/12 in the past & currently have a 1990 340 (Thanks to Chronictown here at the forum :) ).
Both had the scatterwound "Toasters" and never had a problem with the middle PU getting in the way.
That 340 price on Ebay was crazy! :shock: Have not seen this price for several years,(even color of the year models)
I like the 3 PU models.
John
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

iiipopes wrote:I personally do not care for the factory wiring of a 320, 340 or 370 with the neck and middle pickups wired together on the "up" position of the selector switch. To me the sound is diffuse, indistinct, lacking character. So I developed my wiring mods to give more meaning to that middle pickup, while retaining the stock functions of the controls, which the older "5th knob mod" did not. If you get a 340, let me know and I'll send you a copy of my wiring mods.
$2400 is steep, IMO, but at a more reasonable price, I would say, "mo' pickups, mo' fun/mo' pickups mo' bettah!" I would definitely install the iiipopes mod as well, because "mo' tones, mo' bettah!" :D

Besides, three pickups look cool. . . two pickups look cool, and all of my Ricks are two pickup models, it's just that IMO, three pickups look alternately cool. :D
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
mickeef31

Post by mickeef31 »

Hey people,
First post, bare with me...
I've been dreaming about a 330 since forever ago.
I'm in Australia and there isn't many for sale out here, and they're double the price.
I'm trying to work out whether to get a 2011/2012 OR buy something made in the last 20 years.
Been checking out eBay, mostly similar in price.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks...
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

mickeef31 wrote:Hey people,
First post, bare with me...
I've been dreaming about a 330 since forever ago.
I'm in Australia and there isn't many for sale out here, and they're double the price.
I'm trying to work out whether to get a 2011/2012 OR buy something made in the last 20 years.
Been checking out eBay, mostly similar in price.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks...

Chris --- there are some very enthusiastic members involved in the RRF Australian chapter. :)
See posts under this section: viewforum.php?f=61
Maybe a first step in your quest for a Ric and finding fair pricing and/or overseas shipping recommendations, etc. might be to establish contact with Greg R. or Aitch, Trotty, Eden, Evan or some of the other guys in the Australian Chapter to help steer you in the right direction in your quest. Who knows, maybe one of them might have a spare 330 they were thinking of selling...... or seen one in a shop window in their neighborhood

Welcome aboard the RRF !

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”