Welcome Wayne Hall

basshead
RRF Consultant

Re: Welcome Wayne Hall

Post by basshead »

jdogric12 wrote:Well I didn't know music was even allowed there! I learn something everyday!
I live on a compound that is owned by the company I work for. All Westerners so our "on compound" lifestyle is reasonably normal-ish. There are around 800 people living on our compound and there are at least 5 bands. My band predominately plays 60's 70's 80's rock/pop with my wife as our singer. Another band plays similar stuff, but more girly type songs, fronted by another female. An all guy band plays mainly blues and another all guy band plays, well, whatever the singer wants to, lol. Another all guy band plays what I call "diddly aye" music - mainly Irish folk songs and convict songs etc. A friend's band on another compound 20 minute's drive away, play heavy rock and metal. Another friend's band in Riyadh are a Led Zep cover band (and they sound awesome, btw). There is also quite a metal scene among the Saudis. I haven't seen that myself, but my friend's metal band have played a few gigs with Saudi metal bands and they've all got on well.

However, there is no live music in mainstream Saudi. Bahrain is a little island country next door to Saudi, accessible by causeway. On a good day, you can be sipping your first ice cold Corona an hour after leaving our compound. On a bad day, you can send down tap roots looking for water, you can be sat there so long in traffic. Bahrain, however, doesn't have the restrictions there like Saudi does. I played in a mate's band over there when their bass player was out on vacation. The gig was in the Crown Plaza hotel for some annual ball, with 900 or so people there. My band have played over there a couple of times in the bars and they've been great nights. We're playing there again in December for a wedding reception.

So, we're not doing too badly for live music :mrgreen:

opticnerve wrote: So I guess a Saudi Confluence won't be happening anytime soon? :roll: :lol:

You're an oasis Wayne, welcome!
Lol, no.

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:Welcome Wayne! I am surprised no one has asked the obvious question yet... :D :D :D

Any relation??? :P :P :P :P
Actually, I'm his estranged nephew he is totally unaware of :wink:
Lol, I wish!
E = Fb
Bass player's theory of relativity...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

basshead wrote:Hi guys, I only just noticed this was up and running.
I just noticed it too! :oops:
Welcome aboard, Wayne!
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
basshead
RRF Consultant

Post by basshead »

Finally cooling down out here. It's a balmy 41*C (105.8*F) today...
E = Fb
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Oh, so it's like living in Phoenix. :shock:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:Oh, so it's like living in Phoenix. :shock:
Only with more rules...

Welcome Wayne!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
basshead
RRF Consultant

Post by basshead »

Yes, just a few more rules. On the upside, I took one of the plastic bushings for my 4001 into town tonight to a little machine shop I know. One of the 4 bushings has a piece broken out of it so I wanted to get new ones made in brass that I would powder coat black. As it turns out, the shop has black nylon so for either brass or nylon, he's charging me 15 Saudi Riyals per piece. That's $4 / £2.40 each or $32 / £19.70 for 4 brass pieces and 4 nylon pieces. I think that's pretty good. They're supposed to be ready by Saturday so I'll post some pics once I pick them up.
E = Fb
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

basshead wrote:...he's charging me 15 Saudi Riyals per piece. That's $4 / £2.40 each or $32 / £19.70 for 4 brass pieces and 4 nylon pieces.
How much is that in gold-pressed lanthanum?
basshead
RRF Consultant

Post by basshead »

jps wrote:
basshead wrote:...he's charging me 15 Saudi Riyals per piece. That's $4 / £2.40 each or $32 / £19.70 for 4 brass pieces and 4 nylon pieces.
How much is that in gold-pressed lanthanum?
I could ask for you but won't lanthanum be too soft?
E = Fb
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

basshead wrote:I could ask for you but won't lanthanum be too soft?
Soft? Lathanum's a liquid, that's why it's contained in gold :lol:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
basshead
RRF Consultant

Post by basshead »

Wildberry wrote:
Lanthanum is a chemical element with the symbol La and atomic number 57. Lanthanum is a silvery white metallic element that belongs to group 3 of the periodic table and is the first element of the lanthanide series. It is found in some rare-earth minerals, usually in combination with cerium and other rare earth elements. Lanthanum is a malleable, ductile, and soft metal that oxidizes rapidly when exposed to air.

Just sayin'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanthanum
E = Fb
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

basshead wrote:
Wildberry wrote:
Lanthanum is a chemical element with the symbol La and atomic number 57. Lanthanum is a silvery white metallic element that belongs to group 3 of the periodic table and is the first element of the lanthanide series. It is found in some rare-earth minerals, usually in combination with cerium and other rare earth elements. Lanthanum is a malleable, ductile, and soft metal that oxidizes rapidly when exposed to air.

Just sayin'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanthanum
You're looking at the wrong Wiki page, Wayne! :lol:

Sorry, typo in my initial post about this: Gold-Pressed Latinum!
basshead
RRF Consultant

Post by basshead »

Lol, I've never heard of the stuff anyway!
E = Fb
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I suspect that you would have to be a Trekkie to understand Jeff's comment. :lol: Welcome Wayne.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
basshead
RRF Consultant

Post by basshead »

basshead wrote:...I took one of the plastic bushings for my 4001 into town tonight to a little machine shop I know. One of the 4 bushings has a piece broken out of it so I wanted to get new ones made in brass that I would powder coat black. As it turns out, the shop has black nylon so for either brass or nylon, he's charging me 15 Saudi Riyals per piece...
Picked them up today.
Attachments
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0833.jpg
E = Fb
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

basshead wrote:
basshead wrote:...I took one of the plastic bushings for my 4001 into town tonight to a little machine shop I know. One of the 4 bushings has a piece broken out of it so I wanted to get new ones made in brass that I would powder coat black. As it turns out, the shop has black nylon so for either brass or nylon, he's charging me 15 Saudi Riyals per piece...
Picked them up today.
Looks good! Now, polish up those brass ones and find a place that will do a black chrome plating. Nicer than power coating IMHO...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Saudi Arabian Chapter: by Wayne Hall”