Discolored truss rod cover

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

silverjet89

Discolored truss rod cover

Post by silverjet89 »

I have a Ric truss rod cover from the 60s that is supposed to be white but is actually a very cream /mint color. I don't recall Ric ever making a cream TRC.
Is it possible that it could be restored to white with sanding/buffing/repainting? Just wondering. I'd rather not have to buy another on ebay.
electrofaro

Re: Discolored truss rod cover

Post by electrofaro »

If the material has gone yellow it will most likely be completely yellow through the whole TRC, and no scrubbing or buffing will help. Is an aged TRC a problem though? It just shows your guitar's aged and has character,imo :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

silverjet89 wrote:I have a Ric truss rod cover from the 60s that is supposed to be white but is actually a very cream /mint color. I don't recall Ric ever making a cream TRC.
Is it possible that it could be restored to white with sanding/buffing/repainting? Just wondering. I'd rather not have to buy another on ebay.
Could you post a pic?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I'm thinking the white has discolored to cream. Nicotine may have contributed. Pics will help determine this.
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

I have a molded raised letter one like that from a used Rick that came with a very heavy tobacco smell in the case so I would agree with John about the cause. I doubt it could be cleaned without damaging the lettering.

You could paint it white and touch up the lettering with a black Sharpie or paint marker. You would probably lose the small Made in USA imprint though.

FYI, I ordered a set of cream colored guards from Tony at Pickguardian.com that match the TRC closely and they look pretty good on a Fireglo or Montezuma Brown Rick.
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

I would leave it as is.

Isn't that referred to as "beautiful aged patina" in the world of vintage guitars? :mrgreen:
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

rickyfricky wrote:I would leave it as is.

Isn't that referred to as "beautiful aged patina" in the world of vintage guitars? :mrgreen:
HAR!
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

As I recall there was a thread a few years ago on how to brighten the white on aged plexi TRC's. I just don't recall the process.
"The best things in life aren't things."
silverjet89

Post by silverjet89 »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm probably better off buying a white one. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask, though.
I've refurbished Gibson & fender pickguards before but the TRC is a different material. I wouldn't mid the cream on a darker guitar but I don't care for it on mapleglo.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Kirk, maybe someone would like to swap/trade buy yours for one of the same age which does remain white? I mean, there's enough folks here that love the vintage look!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

silverjet89 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I'm probably better off buying a white one. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask, though.
I've refurbished Gibson & fender pickguards before but the TRC is a different material. I wouldn't mid the cream on a darker guitar but I don't care for it on mapleglo.

I think there is one for sale on this Forum's Marketplace.

At least there was a couple of weeks ago. And reasonably priced.
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”