620/12 Nut String Spacing Change?

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jellygh0st

620/12 Nut String Spacing Change?

Post by jellygh0st »

Hello

I'm new to the forum and am very excited about buying my first Rick. I've been an admirer since I first started playing and am finally looking to take the plunge on a jetglo 620/12.

As I understand, within the last few years there underwent a change to nut string spacing on 620/12s (maybe other models too), moving the pairings slightly closer together and using more of the available neck width.

What year did this occur? Looking at photographs I can see the 2013 models have it, but the 2011 don't. If this change is on 2012 models this will give me a much better chance of acquiring one as in the UK they isn't as much choice and availability.

Unfortunately I am having difficulty locating a 2013 JG 620/12 in the UK. One shop stated that Rosetti, the UK distributor simply hasn't had any jetglos in this year from across the pond. Apparently there are midnight blues and fireglos on the market but I am very much set on a jetglo.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: 620/12 Nut String Spacing Change?

Post by Folkie »

George,

After 2005, Rickenbacker started to tighten up the octave pairs on their 300-series models in order to create more space between pairs, to accommodate players with larger hands; but I'm not sure about the 600-series. I have noticed a wide degree of variation in factory string-spacing among new 330's and 360's; no two of them are exactly the same. The good news is that you can always have the nut and bridge replaced if the factory spacing isn't comfortable for you.

I wish I could advise you on where to locate a Jetglo 620/12 in the U.K. Maybe some of our other members from over there will chime in! :D

Robert
78 rpm

Post by 78 rpm »

there is one showing on gumtree but it has been there a while?
Good luck.
jellygh0st

Post by jellygh0st »

Thanks for the advice. Good point on the nut change, although I don't really know of any decent luthiers round my way I'd trust.

Sorry, I meant I'm specifically after a 2013 model! There are other JG 620/12s on the UK market from other years :D

I'm sure I read somewhere that the string spacing recently changed? I think I'm going mad. Apologies for the confusion.
jellygh0st

Post by jellygh0st »

You are indeed correct Robert

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=3524

Apparently all underwent the change in 2006. Now I'm excited!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I'm sorry, I should have said a "new Jetglo 620/12." Best of luck in finding one that suits your playing style. 8)
jellygh0st

Post by jellygh0st »

Well I bought the only one in the country I could find and the bridge pickup isn't working.

Having googled this it appears to be a frequently recurring issue, considering how few of these are made I'm quite shocked. I now await the shop's response. I wouldn't be so bothered about getting under the hood but apparently the warranties preclude any action on my part to fix it.

I have tried every foreseeable combination of switching and blend pots to get it working too. It's just very very quiet, tinny and nasally and the tone pot is acting as volume, as per other people's experiences.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

jellygh0st wrote:I have tried every foreseeable combination of switching and blend pots to get it working too. It's just very very quiet, tinny and nasally and the tone pot is acting as volume, as per other people's experiences.
Yep. Dead pickup. Had a Strat do the same thing.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”