325c58 Scratch Advice??

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

chrispaul

325c58 Scratch Advice??

Post by chrispaul »

Hey all,

I just found a hairline scratch in my 325c58 Jetglo and I'm hoping to find some advice from some of you that know how to handle the situation. My C58 is not played out and is mainly for display purposes only. So, I'm hoping to find a product or service that can either remove the scratch or make it nearly invisible.

When I run my fingernail across the scratch I can barely hear it click, so I know that it is indeed scratched.

What do I do?

Thanks,

Chris
collin

Re: 325c58 Scratch Advice??

Post by collin »

Leave it. Unless you're an experienced paint pro, I highly doubt that any involved repair method you attempt will make it look better, if not worse.

The only suggestion I'd give is to try Scratch-X by Meguiars, but that is usually only for topical scratches, nothing very deep.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I agree with Collin. There's nothing you can do on your own that won't make things worse, unless you're a good re-finisher with all the pro toys. :( Maybe it's time to take it off display and enjoy playing it, now that it's no longer virginal. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
clementc3

Post by clementc3 »

There is a great thread started by Paul W called Primer on the Care and Feeding of Rick Finshes - all you might ever need to know is in it. Use the Search box at the bottom of the main page to find it, and go to the beginning of the thread.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

chrispaul wrote:Hey all, I just found a hairline scratch in my 325c58 Jetglo and I'm hoping to find some advice from some of you that know how to handle the situation. My C58 is not played out and is mainly for display purposes only. What do I do?
Play it out, and give it a few more scratches and love marks. These things give an instrument character.
chrispaul

Post by chrispaul »

How about Zymol or Eterna Shine Scratch Remover?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

If the scratch is deep enough to "click" when you run a fingernail over it, those two products woulds be a waste of $$$. Where is the scratch located on the guitar? I'm thinking it could be a clearcoat stress crack, in which case I'd say leave it alone for now...a photo of it would help, Chris...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”