Banning of Rickenbacker on basschat uk

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

wints
Veteran RRF member

Re: Banning of Rickenbacker on basschat uk

Post by wints »

Grey wrote:
johnhall wrote:Cool! I'd vote for a ban!

When you put a group of people who neither respect nor understand the law together in one place, nothing good comes from it.
Banning the sale and promotion of Rickenbacker instruments on one of the largest bass guitar websites on the internet does not harm them, only the brand. A lot of people are being alienated by this move.
This is correct.

A more detailed view is needed by the majority here at the content of the Basschat discussion. While many posts there are simply incorrect and irrelevant, two posts, 210 and 215, on page 11, address the broader issue. What is irrefutable at present, is the damage this position is doing to Rickenbacker's brand and image in Europe.
Martthebass

Post by Martthebass »

wints wrote:
Grey wrote:

When you put a group of people who neither respect nor understand the law together in one place, nothing good comes from it.
Banning the sale and promotion of Rickenbacker instruments on one of the largest bass guitar websites on the internet does not harm them, only the brand. A lot of people are being alienated by this move.
This is correct.

A more detailed view is needed by the majority here at the content of the Basschat discussion. While many posts there are simply incorrect and irrelevant, two posts, 210 and 215, on page 11, address the broader issue. What is irrefutable at present, is the damage this position is doing to Rickenbacker's brand and image in Europe.
I agree 100%. No one benefits from this behaviour on either side. Forums like Basschat and RRF have positive and negative attributes, the main positive is free discussion. When this is curtailed it is a sad day for the bass playing community. The irony is, I have owned 3 Rickenbacker basses, the reason for this is Basschat, not RIC marketing......
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

wim wrote:Rickenbackers aren't mainstream instruments, their appearance and sound (which go very well together) are not what your average Joe is after.
Exactly. So is it really such a great idea to alienate what fans there are because neither side wants to give an inch?
lucky

Post by lucky »

I think that this Ric bashing has become "expectable" in many people's eyes, who hide behind a username on a bass guitar forum. A lot of them either don't own one or may have had a quick go of one, which any guitar and bass you can't make a "I don't like these" on trying one instrument. Maybe after trying a few perhaps but then there is no reason to jump on the, Ric bashing express just say that you tried a few but it wasn't for you & leave it as that. I liked the look of Warwick basses & tried quite a few but I couldn't get used to the neck, no biggie no problem.

I love Rickenbacker basses & after waiting 11 years to own one,& owning it now 15 years trouble free I'm a very happy owner. 8)
Len

Post by Len »

geofio wrote:I am a member of basschat uk and at this very moment they are having a member poll on banning anything to do with Rickenbacker be it discussion or selling an instrument.
What will they have left to discuss?
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

wints wrote:
Grey wrote:

This is correct.

Indeed. It's not about the 'already-haters'; there are people selling their Rics because of this and other once-potential buyers who are having nothing more to do with the brand. As a bassist in the UK, I'm seeing more and more negativity towards the brand as a result of this, much of it from people who may once have been interested. I've defended Rics ad infinitum on Basschat (which I frequent quite a bit because I'm not just a Ric fan, although Rics are my favourite basses) but I'm at the point now where I've given up. I suggest anyone interested read the aforementioned thread to get the full gist.
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

What would be wrong with just buying a Rickenbacker guitar and playing it if you so choose...or not?
Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Post by Colonel Sanders »

henry5 wrote:
Indeed. It's not about the 'already-haters'; there are people selling their Rics because of this and other once-potential buyers who are having nothing more to do with the brand. As a bassist in the UK, I'm seeing more and more negativity towards the brand as a result of this, much of it from people who may once have been interested. I've defended Rics ad infinitum on Basschat (which I frequent quite a bit because I'm not just a Ric fan, although Rics are my favourite basses) but I'm at the point now where I've given up. I suggest anyone interested read the aforementioned thread to get the full gist.
Look at the bright side! If someone is dumb enough to sell their Rickenbacker because of that, their will be plenty of good bargains to have!

But I suspect it is the typical emotions taking over rationality and very few will move from posting on a forum to actually do something.

Anyway, if anyone over there decide to sell nice vintage 4001 cheaply in an act of protest, let me know...

Every brand will have its detractors. In these days of age, forums will make these more noticeable.
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
2020 Fender P-Bass American Original 60s
Martthebass

Post by Martthebass »

lucky wrote:I think that this Ric bashing has become "expectable" in many people's eyes, who hide behind a username on a bass guitar forum. A lot of them either don't own one or may have had a quick go of one, which any guitar and bass you can't make a "I don't like these" on trying one instrument. Maybe after trying a few perhaps but then there is no reason to jump on the, Ric bashing express just say that you tried a few but it wasn't for you & leave it as that. I liked the look of Warwick basses & tried quite a few but I couldn't get used to the neck, no biggie no problem.

I love Rickenbacker basses & after waiting 11 years to own one,& owning it now 15 years trouble free I'm a very happy owner. 8)
The trouble is, I think people on both sides are having difficulty differentiating between having 'issues' with Rickenbacker Instruments' and the actions of it's CEO. To damn Rickenbacker instruments on the basis of the actions of it's CEO is not logical BUT is understandable. I personally hope that sanity will soon be restored so that we can all concentrate more on playing and talking about all things Bass.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I disagree with some of the above posts. In the long run, there is no such thing as "bad press." And the thread at issue was not started by a board moderator, but by a forum member who self titles himself as a "fully inebriated member." So the thread is really just a b**** thread. Consider the source.

Note: Having been to the UK on many occasions over the last thirty-three years, remember that the UK has a longer history of public complaining than does the USA, and that the UK culture really does not get bent out of shape as much as folks in the USA tend to over such things. I would wager that for every "ban" vote, there are about ten reasonable persons who simply don't think it is worth their time to vote opposite, and who just let the persons who want to vent have their time to vent, kind of like what happens at Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park.

The guys at basschat.co.uk are great guys, and I've even sat in the pit with Daf Lewis, the Innovation liason to the board. Don't think for a moment that they're taking this thread seriously. They're not. They're just letting it run its course, as we should now let this thread run its course.
heinpete
Veteran RRF member

Post by heinpete »

Has there been a specific reason for this banning aproach? :shock:
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

iiipopes wrote:I disagree with some of the above posts. In the long run, there is no such thing as "bad press."
Nonsense. Corporate history is littered by decisions that have resulted in negative press, and the ultimate demise of said companies, or have a long term detrimental effect on business. The thread being discussed has many valid points, and many people there are questioning specific thinking processes at present, as are a few here...

The difference is, it is highly unlikely you'll hear from anyone on this forum.
Deep Release

Post by Deep Release »

It's true! Ignorance is bliss!!
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

here in the usa...when they ban things.,..sales generally go thru the roof !!! enjoy, mr. hall !!! :D :D :D
Martthebass

Post by Martthebass »

I think that's an example of cultural divergence.......

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”