Ruby finish clarification

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

artisan4

Ruby finish clarification

Post by artisan4 »

Is it accurate to say that the muted red finish shown in the '75 catalog on the 330 model, and as used by Paul Weller in the late '70s circa 'This is the Modern World', and as observed by me on an early '80s 330 at Longmont Music in Colorado (same finish as in catalog), was called 'Ruby', and is not the same 'metallic' Ruby mentioned in the Richard Smith book as being available in the 1980's, and that has now made a re-appearance? So it might be more accurate to call the '70s finish 'Ruby', and the 1980's and current finish 'Metallic Ruby'? Or is that '70s colour not 'Ruby'? It would help to know related to collecting. I never observed any metallic Ruby Ricks in the 1980's, although I saw quite a few burgundy ones.

Thanks.
Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo
Rickenbacker 4003s/5 White
Mesa Rectoverb Head
Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12 cabinet
Mesa Rocket 44 Combo amp
collin

Re: Ruby finish clarification

Post by collin »

I can't really comment on Ruby, as I haven't seen enough of both in the flesh, but I can say that very few Rickenbacker colors have been consistent during their entire history.

Fireglo, Burgundyglo, Azureglo, Autumnglo....only a few of the colors that were drastically different over time. They may have been the same color, but had differences in shade.

Only Mapleglo and Jetglo don't seem to have changed much over time (other than aging).

I would classify the "new" Ruby in the same category as the old one, but it doesn't look outright metallic in person. Comparing it to pictures of the old Ruby, I prefer the new shade big time!
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

artisan4 wrote:Is it accurate to say that the muted red finish shown in the '75 catalog on the 330 model, and as used by Paul Weller in the late '70s circa 'This is the Modern World', and as observed by me on an early '80s 330 at Longmont Music in Colorado (same finish as in catalog), was called 'Ruby' and is not the same 'metallic' Ruby mentioned in the Richard Smith book as being available in the 1980's, and that has now made a re-appearance? So it might be more accurate to call the '70s finish 'Ruby', and the 1980's and current finish 'Metallic Ruby'? Or is that '70s colour not 'Ruby'? It would help to know related to collecting. I never observed any metallic Ruby Ricks in the 1980's, although I saw quite a few burgundy ones.

Thanks.
The seventies colour you're referring to is Burgundy or Burgundyglo, a transparent deep red/cherry over maple so you can see the grain.
1979 340 - like Weller's 330s (he had a 21 and a 24 fret in Burgundy) you can see the walnut neck stripe.

The original eighties Ruby is not metallic paint as such, but a version of the transparent Burgundy sprayed over a solid silver base coat.
1981 360SPC

I don't have a new version Ruby (hmmm...yet) but there are plenty of pictures about that show it as more of a solid metallic paint... and very nice it looks too.
artisan4

Post by artisan4 »

Thanks-wow, that first finish is beautiful. They do such a great job on their finishes.
Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo
Mesa Rectoverb Head
Mesa Rocket 44 Combo amp
artisan4

Post by artisan4 »

collin wrote:I can't really comment on Ruby, as I haven't seen enough of both in the flesh, but I can say that very few Rickenbacker colors have been consistent during their entire history.

Fireglo, Burgundyglo, Azureglo, Autumnglo....only a few of the colors that were drastically different over time. They may have been the same color, but had differences in shade.

Only Mapleglo and Jetglo don't seem to have changed much over time (other than aging).

I would classify the "new" Ruby in the same category as the old one, but it doesn't look outright metallic in person. Comparing it to pictures of the old Ruby, I prefer the new shade big time!

I thought Burgundyglo was more of a purple but anyway, maybe I was looking at a Ruby with the silver undercoat.
Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo
Mesa Rectoverb Head
Mesa Rocket 44 Combo amp
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Burgundy (Burgundyglo) varied a little bit during its lifetime as a finish ... my 1975 4001FL BG and 1977 4000FL BG are 'normal' "wine red" but my 1981 460 BG is dark and a bit purplish.

The early Ruby also varied between a true 'candy apple' red to a Burgundy color.
1989 (Sep) 330 Ruby and 1982 (Feb) 4001 Ruby
1989 (Sep) 330 Ruby and 1982 (Feb) 4001 Ruby
NOTE: THESE ARE BOTH RUBY!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
wordsonyou

Post by wordsonyou »

some beautiful shades of ruby in this thread!!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Here's another picture of the '82 4001 Ruby, this time in better lighting and next to a 1987 610 Ruby.
1977 4000FL BG, 1987 610 Ruby, 1982 4001 Ruby
1977 4000FL BG, 1987 610 Ruby, 1982 4001 Ruby
At the left for comparison is my 1977 4000FL Burgundy. Note how the 610 Ruby's color is sort-of "in between" the other two.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
artisan4

Post by artisan4 »

Nice shot. Ok so I should be looking for a Burgundyglo from the late 1970's, it looks like. One of the finest finishes I've ever seen. I didn't realize until years later that Weller and Foxton were not playing Fireglo-finished guitars, I figured it was the lighting.
Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo
Mesa Rectoverb Head
Mesa Rocket 44 Combo amp
artisan4

Post by artisan4 »

Does anyone know what became of Weller's Ruby 330? I recall the anecdote from Foxton and Buckler's book of him throwing it in the air because of tuning problems (I speculate that this action did not solve the tuning problem). Perhaps it became firewood.
Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo
Mesa Rectoverb Head
Mesa Rocket 44 Combo amp
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

artisan4 wrote:Does anyone know what became of Weller's Ruby 330? I recall the anecdote from Foxton and Buckler's book of him throwing it in the air because of tuning problems (I speculate that this action did not solve the tuning problem). Perhaps it became firewood.
I had heard the story too - during the This Is The Modern sessions. Again, not Ruby though it was Burgundyglo. It was reported as the 21 fretted one he used on In The City. The 24 fret Burgundy one he also had is another story. He wasn't precious with them, just a tool for the job.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”