Dakota 650 versus 620

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

fireglo330

Dakota 650 versus 620

Post by fireglo330 »

I just ran across a guy who is looking to sell his fireglow 620.

I currently mainly play a 330 and have a dakota 650 in my possesion which I rarely play but 'share' with a bandmate who can't keep his hands off it.

Will this guitar (620) be too 'redundant' to the 330 and the Dakota. I was thinking I might use the 620 for some ebow stuff i do as the solid body may allow for even more sustain, plus it is always sweet to have another beautiful guitar.

Has anyone out in Rickie land had this dilemna or can anyone comment on the differences in these instruments.

Keep in mind that I am not a twanger, or jangler, mostly just rocking with a vox and a diamond o.d. pedal.
Ric5150

Re: Dakota 650 versus 620

Post by Ric5150 »

First, there's no such thing as too many guitars.... :)

620s are great. If you think you'd like your 650 better with high gains and a neck more like your 330, that would be the 620. Personally, I like the solid bodies better for more distorted stuff and the 620 does that well. (So does the 650, but a little different with the humbuckers.) The solid bodies don't sound vastly different than a 330/360, but its a little different, and to me, a little more conducive to heavier sounds.

I already had a 660 and 650C, and even though I really like them, thought I'd also like the 620 as I thought it would feel 'more like a Rickenbacker'. I was not disappointed. The 650/660 type neck is better for some things (bending, fitting 12strings, etc), but the 620 feels more comfortable to me. Generally speaking, I like the high gains a little better than the HBs for Vox-type distortion.

My 2 cents, anyway. (I should probably also note that my hands are on the smaller side.)
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”