NAMM 2014

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Re: NAMM 2014

Post by cassius987 »

rickenbrother wrote:
cassius987 wrote:I agree with one poster that I might like it even better on a 4004 than a 4003, but then I guess people would be complaining that it's just a return to the 4004Ci.
There never was a Laredo made like that with chrome hardware, at least not one that I know of.
True, and I prefer the chrome hardware by a long shot. That would look great.
rowbo777 wrote:Next question is the tone.
With the oil finish will they be more resonant, open and louder acoustically?
Awaiting the evaluation.
I think for solid body instruments this myth has been mostly dispelled. It's largely a matter of feel.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

8mileshigher wrote:Question for Paul B --- are your books going to be on exhibit at NAMM ? 8) :)
Hi Rich,

I suspect that Hal Leonard (and Hal Leonard Books) will have some presence there and that they SHOULD have a copy of my book for display. However, Hal Leonard folks do ALL the marketing of the book that they now own. In essence, they bought the book from me, and now it is up to them to make money with it. So I don't know what their plans are with marketing. You don't have to wait for NAMM, cause you can get a copy from Amazon for about $20 to your door in a couple of days.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

deaconblues wrote:
cassius987 wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:Will these cost less than the standard versions of the same models?
If it's rare or limited somehow it'll probably cost more wouldn't you think?
If I'm not mistaken, I think there's significantly less investment in the finishing department with an oil finish. I also believe walnut might be a cheaper wood. The 650D was very affordable in its time.
You are indeed mistaken- Walnut of instrument grade has become more expensive and somewhat scarce by comparison to Maple. However, the lower cost of finishing offsets that, which is why we were able to keep the price the same.
8mileshigher

NAMM 2014

Post by 8mileshigher »

bassduke49 wrote:
8mileshigher wrote:Question for Paul B --- are your books going to be on exhibit at NAMM ? 8) :)
Hi Rich,
I suspect that Hal Leonard (and Hal Leonard Books) will have some presence there and that they SHOULD have a copy of my book for display. However, Hal Leonard folks do ALL the marketing of the book that they now own. In essence, they bought the book from me, and now it is up to them to make money with it. So I don't know what their plans are with marketing. You don't have to wait for NAMM, cause you can get a copy from Amazon for about $20 to your door in a couple of days.
We will check out the Hal Leonard corner at NAMM and if they have a display with your book, we will be sure and get some pictures and post them. :)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

johnhall wrote:You are indeed mistaken- Walnut of instrument grade has become more expensive and somewhat scarce by comparison to Maple. However, the lower cost of finishing offsets that, which is why we were able to keep the price the same.
That settles it...

In a way I wish my stable had a vacancy because I really like the 4003W concept, but there's no need (or even funds) for one in my lineup.

I think the oil finish will go over well with finicky bassists who don't like the way a poly(whatever) finished neck feels.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

IIRC , Joey Vasco inquired about the possibility of a 4004 Walnut as well. :D
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

I love them!
They're no new models, but a step forward anyway

so how about this skunkstripe?
Attachments
33012W.jpg
rickenbottom

Post by rickenbottom »

You are indeed mistaken- Walnut of instrument grade has become more expensive and somewhat scarce by comparison to Maple. However, the lower cost of finishing offsets that, which is why we were able to keep the price the same.[/quote]

Damn I have no excuse not to buy one. Mr. Hall could you send some of the 4003s up here to the local Long & Mquade stores. Especially the stores in Ontario :D
2011 4003 Jetglo
2013 330 Mapleglo
2013 4004L Snowglo
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

paologregorio wrote:IIRC , Joey Vasco inquired about the possibility of a 4004 Walnut as well. :D

:lol:

Wait... was this serious? Like a... Ci?????
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jdogric12 wrote:
paologregorio wrote:IIRC , Joey Vasco inquired about the possibility of a 4004 Walnut as well. :D

I may have imagined the whole thing. . . . I was taking painkillers due to surgery. . . :mrgreen:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

No return of the 650S or D?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

paologregorio wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:

I may have imagined the whole thing. . . . I was taking painkillers due to surgery. . . :mrgreen:
No, as medicated as you were, you didn't imagine it. I did ask Ben if he planned on making any 4004s with walnut bodies and maple fretboards. Was I thinking about the possibility of a reincarnated 4004C? YES, of course, as well as a 4004LW.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote:...as well as a 4004LW.
Wow, a Little Walter Signature model! Cool!!! :mrgreen:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:...as well as a 4004LW.
Wow, a Little Walter Signature model! Cool!!! :mrgreen:
Hey! That's not not what I meant! :roll: :mrgreen:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

I would certainly be in for a 4004!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”