360/12 With Janglebox

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Rubsoul

360/12 With Janglebox

Post by Rubsoul »

I have been thinking of getting a Janglebox for the 360. I was more interested in the original style box.
Has anyone had experience with other brands that have a good tone result?. All the you-tube stuff does a great good job of A/ B pedals but always use a not Ricky 6 string. :(

Looking for input from non Janglebox users. Thanks.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: 360/12 With Janglebox

Post by Folkie »

John,

As far as compressors go, there are multiple options other than the JangleBox: MXR Dynacomp, Boss Compressor-Sustainer, and Keeley compressors, to name a few. I found the Dynacomp very disappointing, but the Boss was great with my Rick 12's, and the four-knob Keeley gives a big squeeze, while also being one of the quietest compressors on the market. The biggest difference between the JangleBox line and the others is that the JB's couple heavy compression with a treble boost, to really emulate the classic 60's 12-string sound. That said, I have yet to see a YouTube demo that really does any of the JangleBox pedals justice. You might check out the JangleBox website for sound clips (there are many of them) and, if you can find a JB, audition it with your 360/12.

Robert
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

There is one more compressor that is worth checking out; and that is the Xotic SP compressor. I haven't played my Rick 360/12 through it, but I have played my Gretsch G5120 through it.
JimK
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

It would seem to me that if the sound you're looking for is the sound that a JB1 produces - the vintage-style, bright Rickenbacker chime, you would have trouble beating it.
Samples with a Ric twelve:
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... an%20w.mp3 (last verse)
http://www.broadjam.com/artists/songs.p ... aID=577950
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

Jim, Robert & Todd,

Thanks for the reply's. I also have heard some good things about the Exotic SP too.
Maybe a Boss will due for the current lower than Janglebox budget. Will check them out.

John
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Rubsoul wrote:Jim, Robert & Todd,

Thanks for the reply's. I also have heard some good things about the Exotic SP too.
Maybe a Boss will due for the current lower than Janglebox budget. Will check them out.

John
John,

The cool thing about the Boss Compressor is that you can try it out at any music store. It sounds fine, but I didn't mean to get your hopes up by suggesting that it even comes close to the tone of the original JangleBox. As Todd said, there's really no substitute, and you might find it more worth your while to save up for a JB-1 than to invest in one of the cheaper options.

One additional thought: There used to be an Asian-made silver JangleBox that was considerably more affordable than the JB-1, but I just checked the JangleBox website, and I don't see it on the Products list anymore. You might fire Steve Lasko (the owner of JangleBox) an e-mail (info@janglebox.com) to ask him if the cheaper silver JB is still available. It was designed for people with a tighter budget, but I've heard great things about it here.

Robert
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Folkie wrote: One additional thought: There used to be an Asian-made silver JangleBox that was considerably more affordable than the JB-1, but I just checked the JangleBox website, and I don't see it on the Products list anymore. You might fire Steve Lasko (the owner of JangleBox) an e-mail (info@janglebox.com) to ask him if the cheaper silver JB is still available. It was designed for people with a tighter budget, but I've heard great things about it here.t
The Chinese JangleBox was a terrific pedal, but we sold out of them in March or April of 2013 and I decided to keep all JB production in the USA. Unfortunately, it's not cheap to build pedals here and use quality components.

We'll be introducing a new JB compressor at Summer NAMM: the JB Nano. Despite it's size — about half that of a JB1 — it's a powerful compressor. We swapped the 3-position toggle for a treble boost foot switch. You lose the "dark" setting of the JB1, but you gain the flexibility of the foot switch for on-the-fly treble boost. I'm trying to keep the cost to around $200.00.

John, maybe that will help a little bit.
Attachments
Nano-Preview1.png
JB-Nano-Art.png
JB-Nano-Art.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info. but it's too late. I bought the newer USA JB1 version yesterday. :D
With all the positive feedback. I decided that just any old compressor will not do!

It's being delivered on Friday. New toy day. I'll let you know how I like it.

John
Fab4ever

Post by Fab4ever »

I have the original and LOVE it with my 360 six as well as my Gretsch 6118T and my maple bodied, semi-hollow Agile 12 string. Jangle on!
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

janglebox wrote:We'll be introducing a new JB compressor at Summer NAMM: the JB Nano. Despite it's size — about half that of a JB1 — it's a powerful compressor. We swapped the 3-position toggle for a treble boost foot switch. You lose the "dark" setting of the JB1, but you gain the flexibility of the foot switch for on-the-fly treble boost. I'm trying to keep the cost to around $200.00.
Our machine shop called yesterday to apologize for using the wrong color on our new JB Nano. I had spec'd a powder blue. But after looking at these, I say what the hell… I love this color!

If you already own a JangleBox, why even consider a JB Nano?
  • 1. If you're building a second, smaller pedal board, the JB Nano is ideal.
    2. You want the foot-switch access to the treble boost of a JB2 or JB3, but don't need the EQ or other stuff. (And don't want to spend the extra $$$...) The JB Nano is your pedal.
    3. You want to keep the JangleBox sound in your rig, but real estate space on your pedal board is getting tight. Swap your regular JangleBox for a JB Nano on your pedal board and leave the regular JB in your studio.
    4. You've been curious to try the legendary "double compression" recording technique used by Roger McGuinn, but don't want two, full-sized compressors. Here's your chance to do it with small footprint.
    5. You're a musician who uses only a JangleBox and a maybe second pedal — overdrive or delay, for instance. If that's your set-up, then forget about a pedal board altogether and just throw a JB Nano in your guitar case.
:wink:
Attachments
Nano_protos.png
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Steve, sounds like a cool new pedal that's coming out.

Kinda reminds me of this:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=406018
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=406677

Here's a question for you: in front of a slightly overdriven amplifier, will the new T-Boost work like any treble booster?
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

JakeK wrote:Steve, sounds like a cool new pedal that's coming out.

Kinda reminds me of this:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=406018
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=406677

Here's a question for you: in front of a slightly overdriven amplifier, will the new T-Boost work like any treble booster?
Jake, the JB Nano will work like any pre-set treble booster. The primary function, of course, is compression. The secondary function is compressed treble boost.
It's funny that when we first had the idea for the JB2 and started talking to performers about it back in 2007, almost to a person they insisted that we not make it too small or cram too many knobs on it. Then around 2008 folks started asking us to consider making a JangleBox with a much smaller footprint. :) So now we'll make both.
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

Hey Steve,

The pedal came today and I'm now a believing member of the "Janglebox Army" (Pardon the KISS reference). :D

Thanks to all that shared their Janglebox experience! 8)
John
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

The Janglebox works great with the Ricks, What other guitars go well with a JB? Any opinions, sugestions?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Most anything sounds good with a JB. I've hooked up my Telecaster to it, and also my Gretsch G5120. I don't have anything with Gibson style humbuckers, however. But I'm sure that kind of guitar would sound fine, too.
JimK

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”