Rickenbacker Conversions

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

MoseRorris

Rickenbacker Conversions

Post by MoseRorris »

Hello all, the sheer amount of information within the forum is amazing and it just had me thinking.
How many people have converted their Rickenbackers? Say, from a 6 string to a 12 string or converting the slash to an F hole?
I was reading an old topic the other day and someone had converted a 360/12V64 to a 1993 and it looked great.
Would love to hear peoples stories. (apologies if all this has been covered already)
:D :D :D
Rickenbacker 330F (FG)
Rickenbacker 4003s (FG)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Rickenbacker Conversions

Post by jdogric12 »

I made a '98 360/12v64 into a 366 and it works great. I just sold it to a local music store this month.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I've done several. First I built a new body and guards for my old black 2030 bass. Other than changing the pickup spacing a bit, everything else stayed the same. Picture below, sound clip here:
http://www.broadjam.com/artists/songs.p ... aID=411381

Then I bought an old, beat up 430 and built a new body for it. I also re-shaped the original body, painted it red metalflake and eventually sold it to another RRF member who also had an old 430.

My 330/12 and 360/12 WB both got middle pickups added, but on their own individual circuits, so they function factory normal in mono mode, but stereo, dual mono or whatever it is with the addition of a stereo cord. This was done mostly so that I could run the neck/bridge circuit through a JangleBox and fill in the low end or add a bit of some other effect using the middle pickups. I think it gives me a somewhat wider range of tonal possibilities than Ric-O-Sound did.
Attachments
jf-005.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
010.jpg
MoseRorris

Post by MoseRorris »

jdogric12 wrote:I made a '98 360/12v64 into a 366 and it works great. I just sold it to a local music store this month.
Those convertible 12 strings look really cool, what a great idea :)
teb wrote:I've done several...
Those pictures look really good, great ideas :D
Rickenbacker 330F (FG)
Rickenbacker 4003s (FG)
kt66

Post by kt66 »

How hard would it be to convert a 330/12 into a 340/12?

Is there someone in the UK who could do this?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

kt66 wrote:How hard would it be to convert a 330/12 into a 340/12?

Is there someone in the UK who could do this?
That's a fairly easy one, but make sure you like having that middle pickup there - many do not.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

How hard would it be to convert a 330/12 into a 340/12?
That's what I did, and it's really not terribly difficult. I wanted a spare twelve-string, so I waited until I found a used 330/12 with really nice wood and bought it. It was Mapleglow with black trim (which I'm not fond of, but that can be fixed easily enough).

Step one is the hardest, as you have to unmount all the hardware and attack the top of a perfectly good Rickenbacker with power tools in order to create the rout for the middle pickup. You're going to be cutting a trench in the top for the back side (magnets) of the new pickup to fit down into. The hole is actually a pretty small rectangle and not very deep, however most normal, hand-held routers won't do the job because their bases would run into the end of the neck before you could get the bit to the spot where it needs to cut. Most people (myself included) don't have access to a pin router which is a big bench machine that has it's bit on an overhanging arm, so that the bit can drop down from above with no base plate needed. So, I went old-school-vintage-Rickenbacker-style and instead of using a router, I used a drill to cut the trench. You use a fairly good-sized forstner bit (makes very clean, flat-bottomed holes and has a small pilot spike that keeps it from skidding) and you drill a series of overlapping holes, making the trench. The factory used to do this on solid body guitars to make paths for pickup wiring that would later be covered by the pick guards. The trench then gets connected to the control cavity area with a small, diagonal/horizontal hole made with a regular bit for the pickup's wire to run through and the raw wood in the trench gets sealed with a couple coats of varnish.

The other nice thing about this method is that you aren't dragging the base plate of a power tool over the nice varnish on your guitar's top and potentially scratching it. The Forstner bit is the only thing that touches the surface, and only where it is going to cut. You then drill the two small holes at the ends of the trench for the screws that will hold the pickup in place and adjust its height. Now you can install the pickup using the foam pad or rubber grommets, feed the wire through to the control cavity and wire it in using the factory wiring diagrams (or whatever wiring style you choose).

Optionally, I chose to cut the buttons off of my hi-gain pickup magnets and fit them with toaster covers, moved the original bridge pickup to the middle, and added a real toaster at the bridge position, but you can do whatever you find you like best for placement and wiring. I tried various combinations and that was the one I liked best. As mentioned, I also opted to run my middle pickup on its own circuit for more tone possibilities and this is how it was done:

The middle pickup was grounded to the loop with everything else and a sixth knob was installed as a volume control for it. It has no tone control and is essentially full at all times (I almost never touch the tone controls on either of my twelves). The mono output jack was switched to a stereo jack. The regular neck/bridge circuit goes to one part of that jack, the middle pickup to the other. If I plug a regular, mono guitar cord into the guitar I have the factory-original 330, 5-knob wiring using the neck and bridge pickups. Plugging a stereo cord into the jack also brings the middle pickup to life, and using a stereo Y-cord, I can send that signal to another amp, channel or track. The sixth knob allows me to feather in as much of the additional signal as I want to add.

Finally, the top edges of the pick guards will need to be cut level, or a notch cut out for the new pickup. I was making new back-painted white guards anyway, so I just made them to fit. In addition, to finish my conversion I switched to a white TRC, chrome tailpiece and bridge baseplate, chrome tuners and made a new graphite/epoxy nut with the widest string-spread and narrowest pairs possible for my big, blunt bass player fingertips. One thing to be sure of before you add a third pickup though, is that you are comfortable doing your picking in the fairly small spaces between pickups. It is a different feel from a 330 or 360 where there is a big, open center gap, and it does take some time to get used to.

Here are photos of the 330 as purchased, the Forstner bit trench, and the finished guitar. I'm sure that this all makes the purists want to pull their hair out screaming, but I'm not a purist - I'm a guitar player and I will do whatever it takes to make my instruments play and sound the way I want them to. Plus, I always make money selling used Rickenbackers and I'll put the sound and playability of my Ricks up against the sound of any ever built. They would sell in a heartbeat.

These tunes are what I'm talking about with regard to tonal possibilities. They're my 360/370/12, but it's wired the same as the 330/340/12 with two circuits. On this tune the first guitar you hear is the twelve-string (one track) and it is played by tapping on the strings with my thumb and plucking with bare fingers, kind of like banjo technique. It uses only the neck pickup and runs throughout the tune. The cowboy licks that start on verse three are my Yamaha Silent Guitar, I think the bass was my Hofner. The second track of twelve-string in verse #4 is set more conventionally with all three pickups running and flat-picked with a more typical Rickenbacker tone.
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... an%20w.mp3

This clip has the twelve-string (two tracks) flat-picked with all three pickups and the tone set in "all-out-attack, bee-in-a-beer-can" mode.
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... Lomomd.mp3
Attachments
PICT2584.JPG
DSCF0086.JPG
33012-002a.jpg
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

I like it, old school and gets the job done. I'd like middle pickups on some of my other Ricks, but seeing as it took me a few weeks to grow the cajones to drill two 1/16th inch holes in my R9 to mount the pickguard, I don't see a Forstner bit procedure in my near future.
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

I converted a 380 Laguna into a 12 string, as i liked a 12 string semihollow Rick with the wider neck.
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=392360&hilit=+laguna
Some of the links to the pics don't work anymore.
A 330 was converted into a 340.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=392301
Sorryly I sold this 340 , should have never done that :(

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”