Under consideration,your opinions welcome.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Under consideration,your opinions welcome.

Post by Grey »

woodyng wrote:
Grey wrote:Making a profit because you got a deal the first time around is secondary to the modification aspect.
That was not my intention ever. If i were to do the mod,it's because I want the bass to be that way for ME. I just wouldn't want to "ruin" the instrument,so to speak,for resale. (Or for the neck weakening aspect either,for that matter).

Maybe i should be asking Scott Jehlick.... :wink:
That wasen't for you, it was for Dane whom I was quoting.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Hmm...well I have seen Ricks go up in value after being modded. I've lost money on a couple when I decided to move them on to make room for a new idea, but most have sold for more than I had in them. The quality of a factory looking mod makes all the difference.
GIBrat51

Post by GIBrat51 »

I'm afraid that I'm solidly in the "NOOOOO.. leave it a 4000" camp. Yes, it does need some work to put it back "stock" (which most people would want, I imagine), but cutting it up to "make it a 4001" won't really work, IMO. It won't ever be a 4001; at best, you'd just have a very nicely butchered 4000. And it's not like there's a huge shortage of righty 4001s, anyway. But, at the end of the day, it's yours, to do with what you want... if it was a lefty, though, I'd be willing to make you a good deal on it.... 8)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

aceonbass wrote:Hmm...well I have seen Ricks go up in value after being modded. I've lost money on a couple when I decided to move them on to make room for a new idea, but most have sold for more than I had in them. The quality of a factory looking mod makes all the difference.
Not that you wouldn't know as someone who sold lots of modded Rics, but color me skeptical on that claim (as a larger trend, not the truthfulness of your anecdote). I mean, my 4001FL was in worse shape when I bought it so it's probably up in value simply because it functions now but most buyers are collectors and I am sure they think my 4001FL is an abomination. :twisted:
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Isn't your fretless 4001 the one with three pickups and the tailpiece routed into the body to get the action down? If so, the bridge fix alone would have hurt the value pretty significantly. I've been involved with three 4000-4001 conversations, all of which look factory, and one of which is practically impossible to tell from the real thing, so I think words like "butchered" and "cut up" should only be used to describe bad quality work, not a bass that's modded properly to suit someone's need.
Woody, try posing this same question over at TalkBass, and you might find less "purist" responses.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

GIBrat51 wrote:I'm afraid that I'm solidly in the "NOOOOO.. leave it a 4000" camp. Yes, it does need some work to put it back "stock" (which most people would want, I imagine), but cutting it up to "make it a 4001" won't really work, IMO. It won't ever be a 4001; at best, you'd just have a very nicely butchered 4000. And it's not like there's a huge shortage of righty 4001s, anyway.
Hmmm,where to begin?
I will ignore most of this,but if you were paying attention,the model Rick being discussed IS a very rare one.
There are tons of deluxe 4001 models with all the trimmings. I've played bunches of them,and every once in a blue moon there's one i actually like the feel of.(i played a fabbtastic '73 recently at the BARC-i just couldn't believe how great that bass felt).
Most 4001S models were set neck. (Not that there's anything wrong with that,in fact they are great instruments). And there are more than a few 4003S's out there,but again,not what i'm looking for.
I'm reserving judgement on the new S models till i can try one out.
But like i said,i've pretty much decided to leave LD 389 the way it is,based more on the fact that the lack of routing has made it a very solid bass than any other consideration.
Thanks for playing,everyone!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

cassius987 wrote:
aceonbass wrote:Hmm...well I have seen Ricks go up in value after being modded. I've lost money on a couple when I decided to move them on to make room for a new idea, but most have sold for more than I had in them. The quality of a factory looking mod makes all the difference.
Not that you wouldn't know as someone who sold lots of modded Rics, but color me skeptical on that claim (as a larger trend, not the truthfulness of your anecdote). I mean, my 4001FL was in worse shape when I bought it so it's probably up in value simply because it functions now but most buyers are collectors and I am sure they think my 4001FL is an abomination. :twisted:
I LOVE that bass,actually........if i were looking for a fl 4001,i'd buy it over a similar stock one in a NY minute......

And let's not forget your modded 5 string,the mods done to it probably increase it's value in some ways....
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

woodyng wrote:
cassius987 wrote:
I LOVE that bass,actually........if i were looking for a fl 4001,i'd buy it over a similar stock one in a NY minute......

And let's not forget your modded 5 string,the mods done to it probably increase it's value in some ways....
Thanks Woody. The FL bass is probably my best all around player and most popular among bandmates of my whole arsenal. It is probably my favorite and hopefully I will never part with it. The 4003/5 is also very popular, both for the looks and the sound (the low B does not sound great through my amp, but through house speakers it will take fillings out).

Unlike Dane and yourself, I really don't see my basses as investments or have an eye for making things look factory -- I just want them to look like I want them to look, and I want the bass to work like I think it should. Considering that I fundamentally disagree with some of the components of a stock Ric and don't desire to keep things looking "just right", I am extra prone to weird mods compared to most players and often find myself really attracted to playable "butchered" basses that show up now and then. (Like my 4001FL was.) I really don't give a rat's *** what any of you guys would pay for my instruments! :lol: Not because I don't like money but because I know my tastes are different from most Ric players. So take my opinion on your project with a grain of salt (not that you don't already), but I really don't see why a collector wouldn't be bothered just because the resulting modification looks factory... After all as Dane pointed out there are lots of "purists" in this market.

No matter what though, enjoy the hell out of your bass while you can!! That's worth more than the money you may get some day.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

To be 100% clear: I don't care what you do to your bass, but I think from an "investment" perspective modification would be a mistake no matter what you do. Whatever makes you happy.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I don't buy any instruments As investments,i buy them because they appeal to me. Obviously I am not Mod-averse,considering every one of the 5 Rickbasses i own has been modded,several quite extensively....and i replaced the pickups and wiring harness in my Fernandes Gravity 8 too.
This one is going to remain as it is....(already modded with what i consider very beneficial and useable changes.)
And i will enjoy it,it's currently strung with my old Maxima flats,which sound really phat with the HB1 pickup.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

cassius987 wrote:To be 100% clear: I don't care what you do to your bass, but I think from an "investment" perspective modification would be a mistake no matter what you do. Whatever makes you happy.
Yup....Unless we are talking about a completely original vintage instrument, (where one presumes one would obviously know the $$ effect..) this is bassically the bottom line.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”