4001s or RM1999?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 4001s or RM1999?

Post by jps »

xsubs wrote:Too bad there's no way to accurately date the bass...
If the TRC is original to the bass then it is from 1967. Of course, that could be changed out just like pots and jack plate. But I think that TRC is most likely the one that came on the bass, along with the later style HS PU surround, like the one I had that I bought on Ebay in 2005.
Attachments
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2005 All rights reserved.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I agree that this bass looks like a 67/68 example.
The round heel and less sculpted blend of the rear of the neck at the nut to the headstock confirms this to me.
As for changed or non original parts the easy answer is that bits and bobs were more available on the cheap if you asked around in the 70s so if this bass had a hard time and needed replacements they would be more likely to be early period.
I saw quite a few 60s Rick basses advertised in the Melody Maker throughout the 70s and 80s and parts too in the private sellers ads.

I only class the 63 to 65 era as true RM territory but that's just my personal thing.
Interesting find though.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

By the way, the HS surround is correct in my opinion and some could well have been cut from lap steel parts.
The only difference on this one from others I've seen from the late 60s is that it has the narrow longer "tail" that you see on some early 60s RMs.
I am no Rick factory expert but maybe some late 60s "RM" imports were completed with a mixture of parts available around the plant as you would to complete an order. And keep the price point steady for us poor Brits.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

chriscxd wrote:Some more pics. The Bass was gigged heavily in the 70s and for the last 30 odd years has been stored away. A few years ago it was taken out of storage and the neck was twisted and was straightened by a Luthier and the neck pup was rewound. I'm also a Luthier so I have it to take a look at as the owner would like a refin. As you pointed out its already been refinished, twice before I think, being initially Fireglo judging by where the paint has flaked in the cavities. The harness seems to have a mix of original and new components the caps are by RS and seem to me to not be original. Interesting thing is the pots, they look vintage but have nylon shafts and are 250k and 100k having what looks like CTS inked markings - 250k LG R T C AB KO CTS on the sides. Could the RTC stand for Radio & Television Co the forerunner to RIC?

To me, this bass is THE desirable classic Rickenbacker bass.

Everything is right on this one:
Headstock shape, with walnut wings
Pick guard shape
Hand rest in plexiglass
Horseshoe surround shape (extremely elegant, and aligned with the pick guard)
Gap tailpiece
Pickup positioning
Horseshoe
'Fatness' of the horns
Routing on the upper horn
Rounded neck heel
Fingerboard wood

One minor flaw: the modern knobs

Otherwise: WOW!
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

In fact they should be reissuing this one in stead of that '63 4001s.

;-)
teeder

Post by teeder »

wim wrote:In fact they should be reissuing this one in stead of that '63 4001s.

;-)
I agree! :)

Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Lovely instrument! IMHO, I'd rate it on a higher scale than a 64-65 4001s, in similar condition. Why? Well, the structural changes Rickenbacker made in the later 60's make it a more reliable instrument. Having owned a 1965, with no headstock issues, I was always worried issues would crop up. The added headstock volute made these desirable instruments much more stable over the long haul.

As a collectable, with it's missing jackplate, it's refin, and missing electronics, it's collect-ability is diminished. However, if' is structural integrity is intact, she'll be a lovely player and a huge topic of conversation anywhere she goes. The odds of finding 1967 dated pots is going to be tough. You can source the correct Ajax caps and Dane can create a vintage correct harness for you that will fool all but the most knowledgeable Rickenbacker collectors, if your goal, or the owners goal was to put her back to factory spec.

How is the neck angle on this one?? That is a major concern with these vintage instruments. The design of these lends to very little "wiggle room" in neck angle changes. Years of heavy Roto Sound strings, and other high tension brands, altered neck angles on so many of these.

As we all know, these love a flat neck setting and low action to be at their best. A negative neck angle takes the best part of their sound and playability and kicks it to the curb.

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
chriscxd

Post by chriscxd »

Action is good. Neck angle measures 0.4 degrees, relief is 0.020" at the 9th and action is 4/32" at the 12th.

Frets are about done - could do with a refret.

Cheers

Chris
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Are you going to refret it? If it were my instrument I certainly would have that done; what's the point of a great instrument if it isn't playable (unless I was a collector who didn't know a G string from a G string. :mrgreen:
chriscxd

Post by chriscxd »

Most likely yes it will get a refret before the refinish - need to talk with the owner. Before I do any work on any vintage instruments I like to get as much info as possible on their history so I can discuss the details with the customer, so thanks everyone on the forum for your inputs - highly valued.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

wim wrote:In fact they should be reissuing this one in stead of that '63 4001s.

;-)
What 63 4001s?
Eden.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”