2nd Edition! Help!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

2nd Edition! Help!

Post by bassduke49 »

I got an email today from the publisher, Hal Leonard Books, that they will be needing to reprint the book as stock is getting low. They knew that I wanted to make some minor corrections, but I suggested that we should do a second edition as I had accumulated more photos and that there were two newish models and other information that would keep the book current. So now I need a bit of help locating publishable photos of the limited-run colors and finish combinations that were produced for the foreign distributors (Snowglo, Fire Alarm Red, metallic peach, metallic sky blue, metallic black with mirror PG and TRC, etc.). I've already taken formal portraits of a 4003W but need to get access to an SW for formal portraits. I've also emailed some sources for the sole(?) Fireglo BT, the James Kirkland Blue Boy 4000, and I've been able to obtain great photos of Geddy Lee with his Ricks, something sorely lacking from the first edition.

So, is there anything else I should cover? Something that you found lacking in the first edition? Any corrections needed (I think I found all the missed aches, but . . . ). Have at it!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 2nd Edition! Help!

Post by jps »

You could photograph my 4004L Snowglo and Jetglo 4004L SPC if you come by this way Christmas time. :)
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

What? Shari's no good with a camera anymore? :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I don't need your camera or photography skills, just your background stand and seamless! :mrgreen: Your excellent Photoshop ability is appreciated, however. 8)

There really isn't anything "neutral" to use around here, anymore, for a BG.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

If you need pics of any of the following I can help:

2013 4003 SnowGlow
2016 4003 SnowGlow
2012 4003 Walnutburst
2016 4003 NOIR

I would have to find a suitable background/setting. Maybe the House oF Blues or something like that. I have a gig coming up at the HoB San Diego soon.

--jack
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

I've got some new hi res stuff coming your way Paul.
Boogie

Post by Boogie »

Germany's Bass Quarterly magazine did a review on the Fire Alarm Red guitars back in 2014. That review (in German, of course) could be downloaded from RIC's German distributor web site:

http://www.rickenbacker-guitars.de/file ... BQ_RIC.pdf

I hope that could be a possible lead to obtain permissions to use some of the photos.
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

dang, bought your book yesterday, wish I'd read this first.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

radapaw wrote:dang, bought your book yesterday, wish I'd read this first.
BE glad you bought the 1st edition. They are always the most collectible among books. 8)
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

No publication date yet, but I'm figuring not until summer of '17. I gotta figure out how many pages that will have to be added, then the others that need to be corrected (mostly words), and others that will need to be changed - e.g. the 4003S chapter will now have to state "1982-1996 2016 - ". I'll have to add two pages to that chapter including an "Identifying Features" page with a 4003SW. Plus repagination throughout, modify the timeline/family tree a bit . . . . lots of work not done overnight!
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

Paul - I own an immaculate 1986 Silver 4003s/8 and a superb one-off 4001 fretless "Shadow", courtesy of Paul W, if you're interested, Details are in the registry under my name. Happy to take any photos you'd need, to your specs. The only area that I'd say would benefit from greater photographic coverage is the late 50's-early 60's 4000 and 4001 models, but I guess that unless Mr Gallo opens his vaults to the cameras, this wouldn't be easy!

Great to hear that there's to be a second edition - I've almost worn out my copy of the first one!

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Paul, if you need photos of my 2015 4003S in the rare and elusive Fireglo, why you let me know! I believe it is the only one in existence! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now that there's going to be a 2nd edition, I'll just HAVE to have it!
I guess I know what to put on my Christmas list, for 2017, anyway....

Good Luck!
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

I just moved and will have to dig mine out of a box to look it over again, but I do seem to recall having some input regarding a second edition.

Also, if you're interested in a pearl white 4003 with a black horseshoe: I've got one, and I've never seen another like it.
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

I've got a 71 4001S that is interesting. A 69 21r with a forward shifted treble pup. (possibly a "missing link" in the evolution of the 4001)
A couple of rescues including a 21r and another (though this one is severely compromised) 71 4001S.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I've got several hi-re photographs of some customs I've done recently, including a stunning 4003 5 string conversion refinished in an early burgundy glo with a Lollar 5-string Horseshoe pickup. By the way Paul, I don't know if you caught it, but somewhere in the first 15 pages of your book, two pages are out of order.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”