New member and NGD 1967 360. Needs some input

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

XpensiveWino

New member and NGD 1967 360. Needs some input

Post by XpensiveWino »

Hi everyone, nice to be here. I'm really a Les Paul and Tele guy, but I've just purchased my second Ric 360. I sold the previous one, as the neck never suited me. I just picked up this particular one out on a craigslist hunt. 1967 360/6. A bit of a basketcase, but I don't mind. I do a lot of my own guitar work, and the things I can't I have a trusted luthier who has not let me down yet, with several big projects under his belt for me.

Here's the rundown currently:
- horribly bowed neck and separating fretboard. It had some piano gauge strings on it, and a way over tightened truss rod.
- Electronics on it were absolutely a mess. I'll be starting over with a completely new harness for this one. The pots and caps do look original, minus the blend knob. - The stereo jack was completely non existent. I haven't decided if I'll bother with the ric-o-sound jack, or just drop a dummy in there for aesthetics.
- Original pick guard is gone, and the replacement is a knockoff that does not fit. Thankfully no additional holes were drilled.
- A piece of the body binding on the lower bout has been broken off. Not the checkerboard layer, but the solid cream layer is gone. Should be replaceable.
- After dissembling to clean, I discovered a route under the bridge pickup for a Strat shaped pickup. Fortunately that is fully covered by the pickup.
While disassembling and trying to discern what pickups were on it (legit toasters or replacements), I *think* I found the neck pickup is a BASS guitar toaster pickup?!?!
- *looks* like a strip and natural re-fin. I would have sworn it was a jetglo to begin with given the black pore filler (or remnants in the pores given the maple construction) and black in the truss cavity, BUT when I took off the jack cover there was a huge bright red splotch. Former Fireglo? To top it off, my buddy who is a bit of a guitar junkie himself swears is a dirtied up 52 year old original mapleglo. Thoughts?

The good:

- No cracks or breaks or repairs of such damage
- Original tuners
- Original case with all components working. OK overall shape.
- Original tuners, truss rod cover, "R" tailpiece, bridge, and original neck toaster pick up
- Frets are actually in decent shape. I imagine it's from being unplayable for who knows how long. Fretboard is in fantastic shape. No missing inlays, divots in the wood, etc...
- The one pickup that did work (not sure yet which one it was), actually sounds really great. Very fun with dirt/OD through a little Champ clone.
- Once I removed the strings, the neck actually went right back to flat... Maybe there's hope yet for it... The truss rods do move and adjust.

In early August it'll be off to my luthier (I live in NC, but the guy I trust when I can't do the job myself is in North FL) for a neck inspection and repair. Even if it's a full reset, fretboard plane, and truss replacement worst-case-scenario, I'll still be way ahead on value compared to what I payed for it. This one is going to be fun to bring back to life!

I love any opinions. Certainly looking for insight on the weirdo pickup, recommendations to source a proper pick guard and pick up, and thoughts on the original finish.

Of course and guitar nerd banter is always fun.

Cheers, thank you.
Attachments
IMG_20190708_200551564~2.jpg
IMG_20190708_194103062~2.jpg
IMG_20190708_224822425.jpg
IMG_20190707_192404707~2.jpg
Len

Re: New member and NGD 1967 360. Needs some input

Post by Len »

Oh my that is a beauty. Can't wait to see it back in playing shape.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

One note here: there are no bass-specific toaster pickups. They used (and still use) the same pickups for the guitars and the basses.
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

It's great to see someone wanting to bring back a beauty like that. Look through the register to see some truly bizarre things that have been done to Rics and you might feel a little better!

You should reach out to forum member Paul W./ jingle_jangle, I'm sure he's seen lots worse through all the repairs and restorations he's done.
bdawson7

Post by bdawson7 »

Looks like fun! I’m jealous that you’ll have the end result, but not of all that time you’ll need to put in. Good luck!

Pretty sure that “toaster” with 7 pole pieces each made of 3 layers of magnetic material and visible winding wires around a clear plastic bobbin is a newish non-RIC manufactured knock off. Compare the corners of the top metal toaster covers, and I can see the neck one is rounder than the bridge.
XpensiveWino

Post by XpensiveWino »

Thanks everyone, any thoughts on the finish history. Jetglo, Fireglo, or Mapleglo all along?

Where do you recommend for a retro, or actual ric pick guard. Anyone have a toaster to sell, where to look for a proper replacement? I'm ok with a quality repro, interested in hearing options. This guitar will be meant to play.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

XpensiveWino wrote:Thanks everyone, any thoughts on the finish history. Jetglo, Fireglo, or Mapleglo all along?
From your picture of the jack area, the remaining color between the two jack routs leads me to believe it may have been Fireglo originally, as many were during this era.
Last edited by iiipopes on Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Pickguardian for a pickguard.

https://www.pickguardian.com
crisp

Post by crisp »

Definitely Pickguardian for the pickguard! +1
XpensiveWino

Post by XpensiveWino »

SO... A year later, here is how it all shook out:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=416713&p=872186#p872186

Lots of pics!
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

That guitar is well worth a restoration. Good luck with it.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

drumbob wrote:That guitar is well worth a restoration. Good luck with it.
He did restore it, and did a very nice job of it. Check the link in his last post! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

OK, I see it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”