Rickenbacker Keywinds (Tuners)

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Rick N. Baker

Rickenbacker Keywinds (Tuners)

Post by Rick N. Baker »

Hi,

I haven't located much information on keywind specifications for modern Rickenbacker 300s (330s and 360s). So, I have three questions to try to simplify it.

(1.) According to the Rickenbacker website, 300 series guitars use the Schaller M6 Mini keywinds. However, without being able to compare them side-by-side with what's on a guitar, I cannot tell whether the M6 Minis that Rickenbacker uses for 300s have the large metal buttons or the small metal buttons. So, my first question is whether Ric 300s use the small or large buttons.

I assume they are small buttons, but which is it?

(2.) Next question:

What about post length and hole size? I assume the posts are 21s, but to be sure, what is it, please?

(3.) Last question:

Is there a company, Schaller, Hipshot, Grover, Kluson, etc, who now makes a drop-in, no drilling needed, locking keywind replacement for modern 300 series guitars (which use M6 Minis)? The locking version of the M6 Mini lists a post length of 19, which seems to indicate it would not be a good replacement for standard M6 Minis (post size: 21).

*I'm kind of apprehensive about asking that last question because typically what I see in forums when someone asks about locking tuners is someone replies that locking tuners aren't necessary: just do this and this instead. I know that already and I already know locking tuners aren't needed, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if somebody makes a drop-in, no drilling needed locking replacement and that's it.

Thank you!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Rickenbacker Keywinds (Tuners)

Post by jdogric12 »

Pretty sure they're small buttons - which seem to be standard on Schaller M6 Minis anyway.

Are you sure you need locking tuners? Do you bend the crud out of strings, or leave the guitar in areas subject to temperature swings? I like the locking tuners on my Gretsch 6120 Setzer and my PRS 22/12, but I've never felt the need for them on any Rick.
Rick N. Baker

Post by Rick N. Baker »

So, you aren't sure about the buttons, either, then.

And no, I don't "need" locking tuners; I tried to preempt that question by saying so.

I've been playing for a few decades, moreover, I own two Rics. It's just a question of wanting locking tuners because they do help with stability in general (what is wrong with added stability, again?) and although the nut and bridge are more important factors, they also help guard against string slippage if you use a vibrato, regardless of whether you wind properly or not (They help. What is wrong with that?). Locking tuners also make things a little faster for string changes which is cool if your're talking about 12-strings and Ric makes a lot of those. These things just go without saying to an experienced player, but I don't mind explaining.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Welecome, Rick. I too, despite owning several guitars and also liking locking tuners, haven't had the need or desire to change out the non-locking tuners on my four Ricks; personal experience and personal preference go hand-in-hand.

Anyway, this is a great forum -- no need to be a presupposing, condescending turd. :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:.. no need to be a presupposing, condescending turd. :wink:
Noticed that, too, eh? :wink:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

It's good to find out things about people sooner than later.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”