New trussrod question

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

morrow

New trussrod question

Post by morrow »

The skunk stripe has returned , and I’ve heard that basses will now be built with a single truss rod . Will you still be able to easily remove the truss rod with the new design ?
ilan
RRF Consultant

Re: New trussrod question

Post by ilan »

I can't see a reason not to. The rods have been standard compression type since 1985, and the skunk stripe isn't like a Fender guitar where it plugs the channel - in Rics it's just a center strip, 3 instead of 2, running the whole length of the body. Maybe with a single rod they didn't want it pushing against a glued seam, but that's just a guess. Could be aesthetic reasons too.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
morrow

Post by morrow »

Thanks Ilan .
I asked at Rickenbacker’s official Facebook page , but haven’t seen any response and their website seems abandoned . Perhaps with all of the recent changes they might update the site .
I am curious though .
morrow

Post by morrow »

I suppose the other question is why haven’t the other manufacturers adopted the easy to replace truss rod system …
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

morrow wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:49 am Perhaps with all of the recent changes they might update the site
The most recent entry in the Recent News page on the corporate website is from 2014. The 4003 pic is still a with a pre-hump guard — that's a pre-1998 bass — and the 4004 pic shows the 2003 pickup locations (and no mention that the model was discontinued).
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
morrow

Post by morrow »

I guess they feel Facebook is all the internet presence needed today .
clasbas

Post by clasbas »

The Boutique page with one-offs has been active a couple of times during the last years. Nothing there now, though - anything up there is usually sold really fast. Other than that, it really looks abandoned...

http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/Factor ... _c_23.html
-------------
Bands: 2
Bass: -64 and -67
Amp: Sunn 300T and Model T prototype
-------------
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

morrow wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:18 am The skunk stripe has returned , and I’ve heard that basses will now be built with a single truss rod . Will you still be able to easily remove the truss rod with the new design ?
Where was this info posted?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

cassius987 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:20 pm
morrow wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:18 am The skunk stripe has returned , and I’ve heard that basses will now be built with a single truss rod . Will you still be able to easily remove the truss rod with the new design ?
Skunk stripe announcement: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYSGgxHvFY8 ... =copy_link

Single rod announcement was ages ago, I can’t remember where. Probably IG as well.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The new dual action truss rod is NOT removeable without planning the fingerboard off. It is nothing like the Gibson style compression rod.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I didn't realize everything was moved over to a single truss rod.

My 4003AC has it, and I have found it very easy to work with (and very good at what it does).
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

aceonbass wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:30 pm ... without planning the fingerboard off ....
"Dee plane, boss! Dee plane!" :shock: :lol: 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
morrow

Post by morrow »

cassius987 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:20 pm
I first saw it on the Rickenbacker (official) Facebook page . It was the thread where they first mentioned the return of the skunk stripe .
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

FYI fingerboards are removable by melting glue and carefully prying it off.
Requires a clothing iron and lots of patience, and not for the weak of heart.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

aceonbass wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:30 pm The new dual action truss rod is NOT removeable without planning the fingerboard off. It is nothing like the Gibson style compression rod.
Damn, that sucks. While a broken truss rod is rare these days, I always thought it was cool that on Rickenbackers you could just pull an old one out and replace it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”