4001 Bridge pickup question

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

domcasual

4001 Bridge pickup question

Post by domcasual »

Hi All- I was installing a Treble Bezel on my late '73 4001, and I noticed that my bridge pickup seems to be missing something that I've seen in pics of other bridge pickups - some sort of extension/spacer at the top and bottom. Below is a pic of my pickup, and a clip from a schematic I found. Should my pickup have those? If so - any thoughts on where to find?

Thanks!
bridge pickup.jpg
bridge pickup diagram.jpg
PrairieThunder

Re: 4001 Bridge pickup question

Post by PrairieThunder »

Those are just to give a little extra clearance for the cover when you have it on. No cover? No need. I have literally substituted those by stacking up a couple of picks with a hole drilled in the middle hacked down to a roughly circular shape, too, so the OEM bushings aren't really worth the trouble of tracking down if you've lost yours and want to put the cover back on, at least as far as i'm concerned.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

domcasual wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:02 pm Hi All- I was installing a Treble Bezel on my late '73 4001, and I noticed that my bridge pickup seems to be missing something that I've seen in pics of other bridge pickups - some sort of extension/spacer at the top and bottom. Below is a pic of my pickup, and a clip from a schematic I found. Should my pickup have those? If so - any thoughts on where to find?

Thanks!

bridge pickup.jpg
bridge pickup diagram.jpg
Can you post a photo of your cover if the bass has one? It may be the earlier, shorter one which mounts above the springs. However, as you are doing away with it and installing a bezel, it doesn't really matter. I assume it mounts above the springs, so once again, it doesn't really matter.
domcasual

Post by domcasual »

jps wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:23 pm Can you post a photo of your cover if the bass has one? It may be the earlier, shorter one which mounts above the springs. However, as you are doing away with it and installing a bezel, it doesn't really matter. I assume it mounts above the springs, so once again, it doesn't really matter.
Thanks! Here are a couple pics. Does this give you the necessary info?
rick1.jpg
rick2.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yours is the "later" taller, thicker one, so that would go in between the bottom of the springs and the spacers that would be either an integral part of the mounting plate of the pickup or separate parts (I've had both over the years). It "rides" up and down with the pickup when the height is adjusted, whereas the older one stays in place, not moving with the pickup.

But, again, as you are installing a bezel, that is irrevalent. The bezel should go above the springs.
domcasual

Post by domcasual »

jps wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:46 pm Yours is the "later" taller, thicker one, so that would go in between the bottom of the springs and the spacers that would be either an integral part of the mounting plate of the pickup or separate parts (I've had both over the years). It "rides" up and down with the pickup when the height is adjusted, whereas the older one stays in place, not moving with the pickup.

But, again, as you are installing a bezel, that is irrevalent. The bezel should go above the springs.
Ah, I get it! Thanks, very helpful! Sounds like what you're describing is what's pictured here-
bpickups.jpg
And here- (not my bass)
cgbi6h7osr8w6ruhelyi.png
What's odd is that my cover is too long to fit all the way through the mounting ring-
cover.jpg
I think it's not the original cover - it's a bit cleaner than the rest of the bass.
So- it seems like if I'm using the bezel, there's no need for the spacers. But if I want to use the cover, I would need a different cover, and either the spacers or some substitute, correct? Any thoughts on where to get the spacers?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Your second attachment (first photograph) shows a modern, taller cover mounted above the springs, that's why it is too tall.

I take it the black mounting plate is flat at the ends where the screw holes are? You can use bushings or a stack of nylon washer from your local hardware store to use as spacers. As far as how tall they should be might take a bit of fiddling to get the cover where you want it so it does not hit the tops of the strings when plucked as hard as you would do so once the pickup is adjusted to your desired height for tonal/output needs. A stack of washers makes this easier to do as you can add or remove washers as needed.

This Jetglo 4001 shows the shorter cover as mounted above the springs as it should be.
4001 Feb '73 JG 4099.jpg
domcasual

Post by domcasual »

jps wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:15 pm I take it the black mounting plate is flat at the ends where the screw holes are?
It is - here's a pic-
IMG_8727.jpg
Also - there's still a mismatch between my cover and the mounting ring, correct? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, my cover should fit all the way through. But as you can see in my 3rd pic, last post, it doesn't.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

domcasual wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:28 pm...there's still a mismatch between my cover and the mounting ring, correct? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, my cover should fit all the way through. But as you can see in my 3rd pic, last post, it doesn't.
That, I don't understand. It should fit through with a tad bit of play available.
domcasual

Post by domcasual »

jps wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:40 pm That, I don't understand. It should fit through with a tad bit of play available.
Ah - it fit through, just had to push harder!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Is it real tight?
domcasual

Post by domcasual »

Yes, it is

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”