Gap between nut and fretboard - fretboard edge seems to be angled?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

DesolationBlvd

Gap between nut and fretboard - fretboard edge seems to be angled?

Post by DesolationBlvd »

So I installed the Rickysounds brass nut, and it's quite the improvement. However, there's one big concern. I sanded it down to the right height, and there's a gap between the nut and the fretboard. Sure enough, the old nut sat at an angle. Will this cause any problems?
Attachments
IMG_0054.jpg
collin

Re: Gap between nut and fretboard - fretboard edge seems to be angled?

Post by collin »

It's more important that the nut is flush against the end of the fingerboard than being 100% flush against the headstock.

I would suggest angling the nut back and shimming the front of it (so it's supported underneath), unless you have enough height to reshape the angle of the nut bottom to match the headstock.
DesolationBlvd

Re: Gap between nut and fretboard - fretboard edge seems to be angled?

Post by DesolationBlvd »

collin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:35 pm It's more important that the nut is flush against the end of the fingerboard than being 100% flush against the headstock.

I would suggest angling the nut back and shimming the front of it (so it's supported underneath), unless you have enough height to reshape the angle of the nut bottom to match the headstock.
OK, I'll get some sheet brass and make a shim on the bottom, sanding it at an angle to help match the angle of the fretboard edge. Should I use wood glue between the nut and the fretboard? I only used a dab of super glue on the bottom.

EDIT: Found some little brass strips instead that would do the job.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”