Rickenbacker Guitars:Out of the Frying Pan into the Fireglo

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
Mike Manhost

Re: Rickenbacker Guitars:Out of the Frying Pan into the Fireglo

Post by Mike Manhost »

Yeah, book ends around 2001, nothing after that
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

That's one of the foibles of publishing a book. The minute you do so, the book becomes obsolete. That's what I faced with both editions of my book. Perhaps the authors felt that not much has changed with the company and the product since 2001? Hmm. No, that's not it. I'm sure it is a great book regardless! Once it becomes available from Amazon, I'm buying. :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
eddiehankins

Post by eddiehankins »

The book is fantastic!

The Kelly's previous guitar history book on Fender had a 'soundtrack' album released by Ace Records UK. I wonder if his Rickenbacker book might have something similar in the works, although it might be prohibitively expensive to get the rights to include something by The Beatles.
collin

Post by collin »

bassduke49 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:54 pm That's one of the foibles of publishing a book. The minute you do so, the book becomes obsolete. That's what I faced with both editions of my book. Perhaps the authors felt that not much has changed with the company and the product since 2001? Hmm. No, that's not it. I'm sure it is a great book regardless! Once it becomes available from Amazon, I'm buying. :D
It's much wiser to pick a finite point in time and limit everything in the book up to that date.

The purpose of this book is to correctly - and comprehensively - tell the story of the Rickenbacker brand and products. While there had been earlier attempts to write about this history, none of the previous books covered the subject in complete detail (or had access to the information that Martin and Paul did for this book).

Perhaps one day a second book would be justified that covers the brand in more detail from 1984 onwards, but the purpose of this book is to tell the origin story and development of the brand's iconic models. With only a few exceptions, every Rickenbacker made since the early 1980s has been either a reissue or modern interpretation of a much older Rickenbacker design - or at minimum influenced by design aspects of earlier Rickenbacker instruments, be it the cresting wave, slash soundhole, body shape, etc.

This is no different to most other guitar brands, and the same reason why books on Fender and Gibson history don't dwell much on what's happened in the last few decades.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Hmm. Do they cover the 200 series guitars and 2000 series of basses then?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

bassduke49 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:44 pm Hmm. Do they cover the 200 series guitars and 2000 series of basses then?
Pages 320-321: "...the 3000 and 3001 basses were revamped for a new 2000 series of bolt-on neck solid bodies".
Mike Manhost

Post by Mike Manhost »

I have the book and their Fender book as well.

Although the pics and info are amazing, its not laid out in the easiest way to understand chronologically.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Is everyone aware of this event? —>

Frying Pan —> Fireglo
Frying Pan —> Fireglo
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Judging from the postal code, that must be London Ontario, right?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

bassduke49 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:01 am Judging from the postal code, that must be London Ontario, right?
No:
Phantom Books are proud to announce a special Q&A session with Rickenbacker CEO John Hall which takes place from 2pm next Saturday 19th March at Shapero Rare Books, 195 New Bond Street, London W1 1ND here in the UK.

The event is part of an 8 day exhibition (that includes 30 rare Ricks on display) at the shop's gallery space. It runs between 18th -26th March and celebrates the release of the new book 'Rickenbacker Guitars - Out of the Frying Pan Into the Fireglo'. Entry is free of charge between 11am and 5pm daily (except Sunday 20th) but anyone wishing to attend the John Hall event should email: info@phantombooks.com
TR25

Post by TR25 »

The exhibition date has been extended for another week, ie now ends on Saturday April 2nd, I think.
Any Ric fans in the London area who can make the trip will love it. I couldn't get to the VIP launch event, but have been to check the exhibition out twice now (I know, I'm lucky to be close enough to get there)
A mind boggling collection (40?) of classic vintage guitars, two of Paul Weller's iconic guitars from The Jam, every other classic model on display... including one of the 'light show' guitars which was great to see in action (it was hanging on the wall but wired up to a mains supply, so when you strum the strings the lights hidden under the plastic face plate illuminate - I'd always wondered how these instruments worked)
The book's authors, and also Phil from SevenDecades, who had a lot of input with the book, are variously on hand and really nice guys to chat to - they definitely sharing any fan's enthusiasm.
The book is available to buy - £35 for a signed copy of the paperback, which the authors will dedicate if you ask; the deluxe slipcase (etc) version was on offer, along with the ultra-limited (26 copies) package signed by Mr Hall. There are also some limited edition (and pricey) poster-sized prints on offer.
I asked about the sources of the instruments on display. Many are loaned from private owners (inc. Weller's guitars of course) - and Rickenbacker Inc have a selection of their current retail models on show - why not? - But some of the vintage guitars are offered for sale - for big money, ie tens of thousands ££.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

I ordered the soft cover edition and was horrified that it set me back $92 with the exorbitant postage from England. I emailed the next day and cancelled the order, which Phil honored immediately with a refund. I simply won't spend that kind of money on a book, regardless of what it is. Maybe I'm just too practical. but that's crazy money. I'll wait until used copies pop up on Amazon or Ebay.
collin

Post by collin »

drumbob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:52 pm I ordered the soft cover edition and was horrified that it set me back $92 with the exorbitant postage from England. I emailed the next day and cancelled the order, which Phil honored immediately with a refund. I simply won't spend that kind of money on a book, regardless of what it is. Maybe I'm just too practical. but that's crazy money. I'll wait until used copies pop up on Amazon or Ebay.
Somebody spent 5+ years writing a book, traveling around the world to gather high-quality photos of the world’s rarest Rickenbackers, went through every step necessary to gather comprehensive factory records and info, source interviews and other first hand accounts…..and you won’t even spend $92 on it?

You have to understand that a book like this is a labor of love, and not a highly lucrative endeavor. In terms of man hours and printing cost, I don’t see how they are breaking even at this price.

I’ve spent more than $92 on mediocre concert tickets for a show that lasts one evening, this book will last you a lifetime. $92 doesn’t even fill the fuel tank in most cars these days.

"Horrified" is a pretty strong way to describe your sticker shock at something that's a fair price by every reasonable measure. Just have to say it..
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Softcover now available on Amazon for $47.50.

https://www.amazon.com/Rickenbacker-Gui ... C61&sr=1-1
collin

Post by collin »

Well there ya go! Problem solved :)

I’ll buy a second copy to thumb through without damaging the hardcover set.

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”