Rickenbacker Guitars:Out of the Frying Pan into the Fireglo

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
jch
Intermediate Member

Re: Rickenbacker Guitars:Out of the Frying Pan into the Fireglo

Post by jch »

Be prepared for the spine to crack and separate on that paperback,i've only read the book 2 or 3 times but have thumbed through it regularly since getting my copy back in January and that's what's happening to it.Shame that.

My Richard Smith book from 1987 hasn't done that in 35 years and it's dog eared and yellowed with thumbing.

But this new one is a nice book all the same.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jch wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:18 pm Be prepared for the spine to crack and separate on that paperback,i've only read the book 2 or 3 times but have thumbed through it regularly since getting my copy back in January and that's what's happening to it.Shame that.

My Richard Smith book from 1987 hasn't done that in 35 years and it's dog eared and yellowed with thumbing.

But this new one is a nice book all the same.
They don't make 'em like they used to. :wink:
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

collin wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:02 am
drumbob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:52 pm I ordered the soft cover edition and was horrified that it set me back $92 with the exorbitant postage from England. I emailed the next day and cancelled the order, which Phil honored immediately with a refund. I simply won't spend that kind of money on a book, regardless of what it is. Maybe I'm just too practical. but that's crazy money. I'll wait until used copies pop up on Amazon or Ebay.
Somebody spent 5+ years writing a book, traveling around the world to gather high-quality photos of the world’s rarest Rickenbackers, went through every step necessary to gather comprehensive factory records and info, source interviews and other first hand accounts…..and you won’t even spend $92 on it?

You have to understand that a book like this is a labor of love, and not a highly lucrative endeavor. In terms of man hours and printing cost, I don’t see how they are breaking even at this price.

I’ve spent more than $92 on mediocre concert tickets for a show that lasts one evening, this book will last you a lifetime. $92 doesn’t even fill the fuel tank in most cars these days.

"Horrified" is a pretty strong way to describe your sticker shock at something that's a fair price by every reasonable measure. Just have to say it..
Well, I just have to say it; I won't spend $92 on a book like this, and if you don't like it, I'm sorry, but it's none of damn business. Don't talk to me about what it takes to write a book like this. I also wrote a book, spent a lot of time doing research and interviews, and it listed for $19.95 and sold out its first printing. And I did it out of love and respect and didn't make back enough money to really justify the effort and time I put into it. I'm a practical guy who thinks about where the money goes and where it doesn't. It was the postage from England that killed the deal. I refused to pay that much.
If you have money to throw away, more power to you.
collin

Post by collin »

drumbob wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:02 pm
Well, I just have to say it; I won't spend $92 on a book like this, and if you don't like it, I'm sorry, but it's none of damn business. Don't talk to me about what it takes to write a book like this. I also wrote a book, spent a lot of time doing research and interviews, and it listed for $19.95 and sold out its first printing. And I did it out of love and respect and didn't make back enough money to really justify the effort and time I put into it. I'm a practical guy who thinks about where the money goes and where it doesn't. It was the postage from England that killed the deal. I refused to pay that much.
If you have money to throw away, more power to you.
If you wrote a book of this caliber, and then sold it for $19.95 then you don't value your time or care about recouping expenses.

(Of course you wouldn't know the caliber of this book because you haven't bought a copy).

But it's only $47 now on Amazon! Hopefully that helps.

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”