Checkerboard Binding

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: Checkerboard Binding

Post by lumgimfong »

4004 with 500k pots and toasters would be great.
A pickguardless Ric like the 4004 would be fantastic.
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

I took the liberty of appropriating the grainy magnified photo that apparently proves we've been printing the checkered binding on from TB. Unfortunately, some folks over there have decided to double down on the bs and spread the lie.

Clear coat scratches are white and if they are over black paint or black plastic (like on our CB) they are easy to see. This doesn't mean you've penetrated the 5-6 mils of rock hard polyester top coat with a razor or whatever. Not gonna happen. You just put visible scratches in the clear, not removed the black underneath it. I would think that one is a given. Feel free to take a razor and scrape away on a black check if you have a CB instrument and see for yourself. And for the record, ALL satin finishes here have two layers of that polyester UNDER the smooth satin top coat.

Also, if you see white over black checks... it could be binding glue that did not get cleaned before the guitar was finished over. The instruments attached are from our museum here. One is a 660/12 Petty LE and the other is a 360 from 1980.

But if that's not enough, I'll throw these up too since we just happen to be making 4003 CB AUT's again in production. At which point do we "print" the checks I wonder? Sure looks like trans brown/amber paint drying OVER the checks there, waiting for the paint to be scraped off tomorrow.

And I'll repeat what I posted last week... We purchased a ton of checked binding in 2014 and will not run out of it any time soon.
Attachments
660TP.jpg
360.jpg
Binding.jpg
IMG-0538.jpg
IMG-0540.jpg
IMG-0541.jpg
9c1ny

Post by 9c1ny »

RIC_FACTORY wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:40 pm

Not a criticism but a question, why are there so many variations of autumn glo?
You made one a year or so ago that I really liked (very orange-ish) but I held out hoping for one with a stripe. Now we've got the stripe back but the autumn glo is more red especially around the borders. Is it the colors used? A different painter? Thanks
Guzzitd63

Post by Guzzitd63 »

Yeah, I'm over it.
The final word on the subject was written over a week ago.
It was just an internet troll riling people up with a bunch of conspiracy nonsense.
*Don't feed a troll*

As I've stated before, however, I would give a kidney for a CB Rickenbacker Bass.
Maybe this is the one.
matbard@me.com

Post by matbard@me.com »

RIC_FACTORY wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:40 pm And I'll repeat what I posted last week... We purchased a ton of checked binding in 2014 and will not run out of it any time soon.
Game, set, match.

Now, bring those CBs to Europe!!! :D :D :D
-

--> Matteo Barducci
teeder

Post by teeder »

Ben,

That 4003 CB Autumnglo looks great!
Any chance of getting a peghead shot?

I've been out of the "New" bass game for many years. This model is going to bring me back.
Where does a guy order one of these?

Thanks!
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

9c1ny wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:33 pm
You made one a year or so ago that I really liked (very orange-ish) but I held out hoping for one with a stripe. Now we've got the stripe back but the autumn glo is more red especially around the borders. Is it the colors used? A different painter? Thanks
Eric might have added a little more red to the paint? That's my guess. We don't buy a can of paint labelled "Autumnglo." He mixes it using other tints and he's been painting everything here since 2006. As anyone in this forum will tell you there have always been variations (usually slight) with bursts like AUT and especially FG.

If you search some of the threads about AUT here you'll see it has varied greatly over the decades.
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

teeder wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:16 am Ben,

I've been out of the "New" bass game for many years. This model is going to bring me back.
Thanks!
Talk to Sweetwater!
9c1ny

Post by 9c1ny »

RIC_FACTORY wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:25 am
9c1ny wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:33 pm
Eric might have added a little more red to the paint? That's my guess. We don't buy a can of paint labelled "Autumnglo." He mixes it using other tints and he's been painting everything here since 2006. As anyone in this forum will tell you there have always been variations (usually slight) with bursts like AUT and especially FG.

If you search some of the threads about AUT here you'll see it has varied greatly over the decades.
Kinda what I figured, thank you for the reply, much appreciated
teeder

Post by teeder »

RIC_FACTORY wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:26 am
teeder wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:16 am Ben,

Thanks!
Talk to Sweetwater!
Thanks. Is there a specific model designation I need to refer to?
nov_1981

Post by nov_1981 »

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... rd-binding
Looks like they sold all of this lastest batch but they say they have more on order.

I picked up of these beauties back in 2020.. absolutely love it!
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

matbard@me.com wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:26 am
RIC_FACTORY wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:40 pm And I'll repeat what I posted last week... We purchased a ton of checked binding in 2014 and will not run out of it any time soon.
Game, set, match.

Now, bring those CBs to Europe!!! :D :D :D
You got it! :wink:
Peterbuilt

Post by Peterbuilt »

Oh yeah, bring it on! There's always room for more. :D
Gear: #greenmachines
- Peterbuilt Basses / RickenbackerFarm (dealer) -
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I fell in love with checkerboard binding right around the time I fell in love with crushed pearl inlays, about 1971 or early 1972. Those pics above got me jonesin' for an Autumnglo Rick bass with checker binding! :D :D :D :D :D
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

Winfield have this now...but not for long...! (19/05/22)

https://www.winfieldvintage.com/product ... rd-binding
Designer, Engineer, Music Producer, a little obsessive about music for my own good! It's certainly kept me poor!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”