Ric-o-Sound Problem

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

espidog

Re: Ric-o-Sound Problem

Post by espidog »

Nudger wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:48 am Leaves me with a couple of options.
1 Wire both circuits to two separate mono jack sockets "Stereo guitar only"
Electrically that would be exactly the same as using the present stereo jack socket and mono jack socket, only without the convenience of having the choice to go mono.
Nudger wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:48 am 2 Wire as "Mono guitar"
Luckily I already have a spare single jack control plate.
Likewise, that would be just like using the present mono jack socket, but without the choice to go stereo if you wanted to.
Nudger wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:48 amSo will a Rickenbacker with ric-o-sound have a drop in impedance/volume when using the mono output?
First off, there's nothing clever or special about "Ric-o-sound" - it's just a brand name for the very ordinary business of feeding each pickup to its own separate output - i.e. stereo. A Rickenbacker guitar connected in mono will certainly have the halving of impedence (when both pickups are in use). The loss of volume thing is mostly dependent on the distances between the pickups and how the signals interact (comb filtering). On my 4003, for example, with a mono jack plugged in, if I flip the pickup selector switch, both the neck-only and bridge-only positions have a more pokey, in-yer-face "loudness" than if the selector switch is on "both". The sound with both pups on is kinda softer, more civilised, with less upper midrange "bark". This is partly down to the impedence drop and partly the comb filtering. The effect is not particularly profound, though.

This is why, historically, on Rickenbacker basses there used to be a .0047uF capacitor in the +ve output from the bridge pickup, effectively filtering out a bunch of lower frequencies from that pup. This prevented the low-to-mid frequencies from the bridge pup from interfering with the low-to-mids from the neck pup (via comb filtering). Result: you get the fat bottom end from the neck pup and the treble bite from the bridge pup. Nowadays, that capacitor is back, but you can switch it in/out as you wish. RIC call it the "Vintage tone switch".

This is on a bass, though. I don't know whether a similar idea has ever been implemented on a 6-string guitar - probably not, because the signals are in a higher frequency range than on a bass.

I'm intrigued to know just how bad this volume drop is. Is there any way you could make a short demo recording of the guitar, using the mono jack and switching between single channels and both together? Then upload it to - say - Soundcloud and post a link?
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
Nudger

Re: Ric-o-Sound Problem