Tail lift on a 4001C64 re-issue

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

prowla

Re: Tail lift on a 4001C64 re-issue

Post by prowla »

cheyenne wrote:Of the 16-18 Rick basses I've had over the years, I've never had a problem tail lift. Its strange how some basses have such an extreme issue.
I've got a '64 which is fine and a 2010.

(I have had tail lift on a 'faker.)
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

tcsmit29 wrote:
RobW wrote:Paul McCartney stopped playing his Rick around '85, and I'm wondering if it's because the tailpiece is bent way up and not playable anymore?

The last time I saw Paul's 4001 is on the cover of "All the Best" released in 87. I can't remember my source for this but I do recall that Paul had stated that Elvis Costello convinced him to pull the Hofner out of storage during the recording of "Flowers in the Dirt".
He played it on TV shows when he was promoting 'All the Best". There are some pictures of him playing it during the "Flowers in the Dirt" sessions and a rehearsal video of "My Brave Face" and the alternate video of "This One". It is pictured on the inner sleeve of Off the Ground" but I'm not sure if he played it during those sessions.

Finally, he did play a C64 on the album "Driving Rain". I believe the track was "Spinning on an Axis".
THX1136

Post by THX1136 »

I know this is a really old post, but I must have a unique 4001 - at least if I am understanding the info presented. It is a 1976 with a 3 screw TP. Am I right in my understanding that a 76 should be zinc and 5 screw? Thanks!

EDIT: I was just reading another thread here and I think I was not understanding just where the screws are in the tp. I saw a picture of what I thought was a 5 screw which had two more visible than mine located farther back on the tp. The other thread mentioned the 3 screws being in the bridge cavity. If I understand correctly then mine is a 5 screw - not a 3. One of those 'duh' moments, eh?
Belief does not create truth, unbelief does not destroy truth
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

THX1136 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:22 pm I know this is a really old post, but I must have a unique 4001 - at least if I am understanding the info presented. It is a 1976 with a 3 screw TP. Am I right in my understanding that a 76 should be zinc and 5 screw? Thanks!

Glad you found out about the location of the "hidden" screws...

But given that on your '76 5-screw TP only 2 are clearly visible:
shouldn't you have thought yours was a 2-screw TP?!? :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

THX1136 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:22 pm I know this is a really old post, but I must have a unique 4001 - at least if I am understanding the info presented. It is a 1976 with a 3 screw TP. Am I right in my understanding that a 76 should be zinc and 5 screw? Thanks!

EDIT: I was just reading another thread here and I think I was not understanding just where the screws are in the tp. I saw a picture of what I thought was a 5 screw which had two more visible than mine located farther back on the tp. The other thread mentioned the 3 screws being in the bridge cavity. If I understand correctly then mine is a 5 screw - not a 3. One of those 'duh' moments, eh?
Note the tailpiece on the left (3-screw) vs. the middle and right tailpieces (5-screw). Also note the 3-screw has the "tooth gap" as it is an aluminum tailpiece (from early 1973). The middle one is from later in 1973 (zinc), and the one on the right is from the '90s (IIRC).

Tailpieces_Front_3980_800.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”