loosening strap button

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Sugarcane

loosening strap button

Post by Sugarcane »

The top horn strap button in my 620 is becoming loose. I tried tightening it with my hand, it just began to go all 360 clockwise.

Should I try to fix this myself or just take it to a luthier?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: loosening strap button

Post by jps »

Sugarcane wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:06 am The top horn strap button in my 620 is becoming loose. I tried tightening it with my hand, it just began to go all 360 clockwise.

Should I try to fix this myself or just take it to a luthier?
That would depend on whether you are "qualified" to take care of this yourself. :wink:
fiveightandten

Post by fiveightandten »

Remove the screw, slide some toothpicks into the hole, snap the ends off flush, reinstall the screw. Use enough toothpicks for a snug fit.

If it comes loose after that, it’ll be time for a pro repair. But toothpicks will solve the problem 9 times out of 10.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

The toothpick fix works. I would just add a drop of carpenter's glue onto the toothpicks before slipping them into the whole.

Also, while the strap button is out, put a felt washer on the bottom of the strap button and then screw it on. I have no idea why Ric doesn't use those felt washers. My 360/12 paint chipped around the bottom of the strap button. I placed a felt washer on the button (hides the chip in the paint) and no more chipping.

Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

On another forum someone suggested plumber's Teflon tape. I suppose that's if there is still threading in the wood. The felt washers could be helpful as well.
Don't let democracy end democracy.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”