Lollar Horseshoe pickups -- Any tendency to de-gauss?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Lollar Horseshoe pickups -- Any tendency to de-gauss?

Post by squirebass »

I am on the verge of purchasing one of these lovelies, in my pursuit of that warm hi-fi sweet tone that they allegedly produce, but I had a disquieting thought. If Rickenbacker gave up on these because of their tendency to de-gauss(which I believe happened with McCartney's bass), is it still something that could still happen with the Lollar? Or has modern technology solved the issue? Thoughts?
ram

Re: Lollar Horseshoe pickups -- Any tendency to de-gauss?

Post by ram »

I don't know that they stopped making them because if degaussing but I have a Lollar pre-law suite Horseshoe. Once it did start to get a little weak so I just put a couple of little powerful magnets on the edge of the shoes, just at the bend. I take them off when playing. No problems since doing this. I really like this pickup...
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Cor163

Post by Cor163 »

My Lollar de-gaussed because of an inferior ground wire of the amplifier. The wire carried some voltage. Thus it drained the magnetism.
But I placed a strong magnet on the horseshoe and let it rest for a period of time.
And guess what? It sounds like brandnew!
It's always a good idea to store your bass with the magnets attached.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I haven't heard of them degaussing as much as the vintage RIC horseshoes. I think the pre-lawsuit design of Lollar's horseshoe might degauss a bit more readily than the more recent one, but to be honest I would suggest to just call and ask Jason Lollar yourself. He's an great guy and he'll tell you for sure if it does or doesn't and if so how to fix it.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Thanks Greg, I might just do that, but I placed an order for one about a week or so ago, and its just now shipped! :D :D :D :D
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

squirebass wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:27 pm Thanks Greg, I might just do that, but I placed an order for one about a week or so ago, and its just now shipped! :D :D :D :D
Sounds great! I bet you'll enjoy it a lot! I've got a pre-lawsuit one that I need to install in a bass. One of these days....

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”