Zero-Mod Thumb Rest, has anyone tried it?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Highway Star

Zero-Mod Thumb Rest, has anyone tried it?

Post by Highway Star »

The plastic bar that mounts to the two top pickguard screws above the neck pickup, with no additional holes or modifications needed. I see it on the auction sites, in clear or white.

It seems like it could be useful, but then again, it could be something I'd take off and trash the first day. If any of you have tried it, please let me know what you think.

I would like to see some pics of a Ric bass with the Zero Mod Thumb Rest attached, if anyone has any. The pics on the listing are just close-ups, and I can't get a feel for how noticeable it is from a few feet back. Thanks.
Dirk

Re: Zero-Mod Thumb Rest, has anyone tried it?

Post by Dirk »

I haven't tried it myself, I'm a floating thumb guy.
But if I did, double sticky tape, or for instance Alien Tape.
Holds great and is non permanent.
Highway Star

Post by Highway Star »

Dirk, no tape needed. It mounts to the two top pickguard screws. The longer screws come with it, to account for the 1/4 inch thickness of the rest.

I'm most likely going to try it. It's a little pricey, if I end up not using it, but I think overall it will be useful.
T28

Post by T28 »

I have a couple on my basses. They work well and look good....almost invisible.
For me personally, it rides just a tad higher than I would like but when I make the effort to get up on it, it feels pretty good.
Highway Star

Post by Highway Star »

Sounds good. You could always sand a little off. I was thinking of sanding enough off to get rid of the logo that's stamped into it, depending on how deep it is. Would have to polish back to smooth afterward.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

T28 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:49 am I have a couple on my basses. They work well and look good....almost invisible.
For me personally, it rides just a tad higher than I would like but when I make the effort to get up on it, it feels pretty good.
I agree with this: it's too thick for my preference. I tried it for a few days, then took it off.

--jack
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

Highway Star wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:07 pm The plastic bar that mounts to the two top pickguard screws above the neck pickup, with no additional holes or modifications needed. I see it on the auction sites, in clear or white.

It seems like it could be useful, but then again, it could be something I'd take off and trash the first day. If any of you have tried it, please let me know what you think.

I would like to see some pics of a Ric bass with the Zero Mod Thumb Rest attached, if anyone has any. The pics on the listing are just close-ups, and I can't get a feel for how noticeable it is from a few feet back. Thanks.
Here you go! They are available in white, black and clear, and are completely reversible as they use the screws on the pickguard.
Ignore the ridiculously large pick!
IMG_2421.JPG
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Oh! That's a pick! I thought you were trying to stuff a piece of pizza under the strings for a mute! :lol:
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

:P :D :lol:
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bassduke49 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:50 am Oh! That's a pick! I thought you were trying to stuff a piece of pizza under the strings for a mute! :lol:
Probably, for this!
CB Bal.jpg
Striknine

Post by Striknine »

Got one for my 4003 however after playing with it on it seems too high for my liking and I find my thumb back on the low E. Checking out their website I saw they make a few different versions. One called a lowboy which positions the rest much lower while still using existing screw holes. Ordered one and it’s on its way so will let y’all know how it works out for me.
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

I have one in a box somewhere, I agree with most of the sentiments, it's a bit too high up to be useable, but it looks nice.

There are a couple different versions that mount in different positions.

I have a rest on most of my basses, but play with a pick 99.87325% of the time anyway.
Striknine

Post by Striknine »

Striknine wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:14 am Got one for my 4003 however after playing with it on it seems too high for my liking and I find my thumb back on the low E. Checking out their website I saw they make a few different versions. One called a lowboy which positions the rest much lower while still using existing screw holes. Ordered one and it’s on its way so will let y’all know how it works out for me.
Received the Zero-Mod lowboy and have been using it for the last week on the 4001 and have to say…. It’s awesome, most the time I don’t even realize I’m using it. Gonna get another to replace the original one on the 4003.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

My fingerstyle playing technique has evolved in a way that I rarely anchor my thumb, I'll sometimes rest my thumb on the E string if I'm playing quick/staccato notes on the G string and on B string of a 5 stringer when I'm playing the D or G strings. Sometimes I lay my thumb right over the E and or A strings to avoid any sympathetic ringing from them when I'm playing aggressively. I've noticed Geddy Lee often does that. If I was inclined to use a thumb rest, the Zero-Mod is too far from the strings for my comfort, but I can it as a perfect solution for those who are comfortable with the reach.
Not anchoring my thumb to one area also frees my right hand to quickly move to different areas for different tones when needed, without thinking about it much...again, much like Geddy.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”