Lern Yerself Scouse (and how to cook it)

History and music of Liverpool
hamilton_square

Lern Yerself Scouse (and how to cook it)

Post by hamilton_square »

Lern Yerself Scouse courtesy of BBC Radio 4.
An hour long audio presentation on the influences that have shaped the distinctive Liverpool accent, and how it's changing.

How to cook Scouse | The 'National' Dish of Liverpool courtesy of You Tube. As some one, who as a boy, watched his mother cook countless pans of Scouse this is more or less the way she did it. The little details this You Tube cook got right were ...

... no need to sear / brown the meat prior to adding the stock and veg
... while it takes longer, better tasting when cooked the slow way in an open pan rather than the quicker pressure cooker method. Indeed, I remember my Grandmother could never bring herself to use a pressure cooker. She was always fearful it would explode.
... the inclusion of a serving of pickled red cabbage

It was not unusual to keep a pan of Scouse on the go for days just by adding more cheap cuts of meat, oxo stock and veg, and reheating. Mind you, after a while the mixture at the bottom of the pan was mostly mush - but we still ate it.
espidog

Re: Lern Yerself Scouse (and how to cook it)

Post by espidog »

Birkenhead native here, now living in Norwich.

Thanks for providing this link. It's an excellent radio doc. I must correct one small factual error, though. Penny Lane is not named after a slave trader. Its name existed long before his time and refers to the fact that it was a toll-road.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
hamilton_square

Re: Lern Yerself Scouse (and how to cook it)

Post by hamilton_square »

Thank you for taking the time to comment - much appreciated.
Like you I'm now living some 200 miles, as the crow flies, from Birkenhead and have been since 1986. Though, here in High Wycombe I'm a great deal closer to London than you are in Norwich. I must say, the way things have worked out, I glad I made the move South. Financially I'm considerably better off in my old age than I would have been if I'd remained on the Wirral. While I can still hear traces of Birkenhead when I speak, to begin with I had to consciously modify my accent in work situations for the benefit of sensitive south of England ears.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”