Sourcing pickups

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Spellcaster

Sourcing pickups

Post by Spellcaster »

I have a replica that I want to upgrade to real Rickenbacker bass pickups. Looking online, there seems to be lots of Brand X manufacturers selling look-alikes and it sometimes hard to know what's real and what's not. Is there a definitive source that reliably sells the real thing?
Dirk

Re: Sourcing pickups

Post by Dirk »

How about here?
https://boutique.rickenbacker.com/Pickups_c_12.html

Bartolini and Seymour Duncan also make direct replacements.

I just checked Reverb and certainly no pickup deals on vintage stuff, wow.
Dirk
Spellcaster

Post by Spellcaster »

Rickenbacker seems to be out of the 00003 Pickup Assy 4003. If I have a bass with what appears to be the same dimensions as the normal pickup that is screwed to the mounting base, is there any reason why a 4003 neck wouldn't work in it's place? I already have the bezel and cover, so the raw pickup element is all I need.
Spellcaster

Post by Spellcaster »

I now have a 4003 neck pickup and a 4003 Bridge pickup assembly on the way here. I'd like to completely redo the harness so I'm starting fresh. Can you tell me what pots....250K or 330K....and what value of capacitors I should be using with these pickups? Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Dane Wilder (ace on bass) makes great wiring setups.
Also they can include the classic tone with a push pull pot.

I guess it depends on what you're shooting for, his are pretty much similar to stock modern 4003.

Or experiment if you're going for something else.

I'm sure Dane can provide some insight, you could PM him here. He also sells on Ebay.
Dirk
ram

Post by ram »

What Dirk said... 250 vs 300.. would depend on what you were going for. Dane know his harnesses/wires. I have two of his wirings in my basses. A replacement for my 4001 (with push/pull for cap by-pass) and a customization for my 4004C. I'd highly recommend him. He does a great job at a decent price.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

+1 on Dane. I have one of his stereo harnesses on my 4003s.
"Knowledge is Power"
Spellcaster

Post by Spellcaster »

I wish I had unlimited money to do this and I'd buy one of his harnesses based on the testimonials here. Unfortunately, spending well over 100.00 on a wiring harness is beyond my means. However, I trust his judgement as far as choosing good components, so I've ordered high quality 250K volume pots, 500K tone pots, and Orange Drop capacitors. Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”