Help needed with refinishing Ric 4001 FG

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

anoukane
Intermediate Member

Help needed with refinishing Ric 4001 FG

Post by anoukane »

Next monday or tuesday I will recieve a Ric 4001 from '78 from the Postoffice.
I got it for a pretty good price, but there are some problems with the finish.

Here is the story of the guy I bought it from:
------------------------------------------------
"This is a Rickenbacker 4001 bass that was purchased buy its current owner (the guy I'm selling it for) in 1978. Early in its life he decided to relacquer the body. Not being skilled in the field of guitar refinishing, he made a bit of a mess of it, put it back in its case, and forgot about it for over 20 years.

It probably didn't need refinishing, and if the neck and headstock are anything to go by, it was probably immaculate! As far as I can tell he gave it a light sanding, and then sprayed it heavily with a clear lacquer. The original 'Fireglo' sunburst finish is still intact, and unmarked, so it's quite clear he didn't sand through that. The actual result is an 'orange-peel' finish, wit a few light runs, and a suggestion of slight crazing in parts. As you can see from my pics, from only 3 or 4 feet away the finish looks great, and it's only when you hold it up to the light you can see the results of his handiwork.

As an experienced car refinisher (in my long distant past) I would recommend possibly cutting this finish back with a very fine grade wet n dry, and then give it a good polish with rubbing compound or t-cut. this might just do the trick, and give the finish a bit of a shine. Alternatively just leave it, use it, and let it acquire an aged or relic look with use."
-------------------------------------------------

What do you (experienced)guys recommend me to do?
What options do I have?
Thanks!!

jnbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by jnbass »

leave it
Buy it before someone else does
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Cheeto-glo!!!!!

It definitely has character as it is now. Tough call.
congerz83
Intermediate Member

Post by congerz83 »

What you have, Phil is something myself and I'm sure many Ric bass owners want. A "beater bass." A bass you don't have to be super extra careful with, because it's all ready had it's share of "TLC" from the first owner. Plus you must have got a good deal. Hey it's your call. You can re-finish it, but it will be costly and kind of a pain. You have something with character there. Here is the best part, if an immaculate FG bass is what your looking for, you can always buy another. A man can never have too many Rics.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

Dale & Paul will know if the guy's right: that it could be sanded & buffed to be more acceptable.
If it doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it.
As has been said, it's a good candidate for any projects that may be in the back of your mind.
It's not rare or collectable, so enjoy the possibilities.
Plus five minus five!
anoukane
Intermediate Member

Re: Help needed with refinishing Ric 4001 FG

Post by anoukane »

anoukane wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:53 pm
I guess those Rickresource oldattachments are gone forever right?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Help needed with refinishing Ric 4001 FG

Post by jdogric12 »

Bummer - yeah, could be. See if Gil can help.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”