Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

User avatar
Isaac
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:24 am

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by Isaac »

cheyenne wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:53 am Funny, back in the day, people were stripping the finish off of their fretboards.
Now they don't have to. But what are those who like the lacquered fretboard to do?
Korladis
Junior Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by Korladis »

iiipopes wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:26 pm
islandjimmy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 pmSince Rickenbacker is no longer applying nitrocellulose lacquer to their 4003 fretboards....
The more correct term is, "Since Rickenbacker is no longer finishing their 4003 fretboards...." Rickenbacker quit using nitro in @ 1958-9. Then they used a conversion varnish, aka catalyzed varnish, for a few decades, and now use a UV cured finish.
I've never really understood the fetishization many people have for nitro.
User avatar
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by lumgimfong »

I heard Nitro wears off faster, yellows with age, and weather checks easier than the modern poly.
But I heard the modern poly stifles the tone.
Don't know if any of that is true or not. Anyone know?
User avatar
jps
RRF Consultant
Posts: 36871
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:00 am

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by jps »

Korladis wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:35 amI've never really understood the fetishization many people have for nitro.
It's probably a 7ender thing. :mrgreen:
islandjimmy
New member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:51 pm

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by islandjimmy »

Korladis wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:35 am
iiipopes wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:26 pm
islandjimmy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 pmSince Rickenbacker is no longer applying nitrocellulose lacquer to their 4003 fretboards....
The more correct term is, "Since Rickenbacker is no longer finishing their 4003 fretboards...." Rickenbacker quit using nitro in @ 1958-9. Then they used a conversion varnish, aka catalyzed varnish, for a few decades, and now use a UV cured finish.
I've never really understood the fetishization many people have for nitro.
I think many people like nitro because it ages nicely, and some believe does not stifle the sound. Nitro "breathes" and never fully cures. It basically gasses off during the life of the instrument. Poly on the other hand, is like covering your guitar in plastic.
User avatar
teb
Advanced Member
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:39 pm

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by teb »

I suspect that there is a pretty drastic difference between what nitro may or may not do on the top and sides of an acoustic guitar's body and what it could do in terms of altering the sound when applied to the fingerboard of a solid body bass. As for nitro "breathing" I wouldn't count on it if I was you. Acoustic guitars "breathe" because the inside is raw wood. Nothing has to pass through the finish.
User avatar
iiipopes
Intermediate Member
Posts: 1368
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by iiipopes »

Korladis wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:35 am
iiipopes wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:26 pm
islandjimmy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 pmSince Rickenbacker is no longer applying nitrocellulose lacquer to their 4003 fretboards....
The more correct term is, "Since Rickenbacker is no longer finishing their 4003 fretboards...." Rickenbacker quit using nitro in @ 1958-9. Then they used a conversion varnish, aka catalyzed varnish, for a few decades, and now use a UV cured finish.
I've never really understood the fetishization many people have for nitro.
Supposedly, a hand-applied and buffed nitro finish is either thinner, or in some way "breathes" with the wood better to give better tone. Personally, I have never been able to tell the difference, although the most I have heard it was about late-'70's and early-'80's Strats and such that CBS had such a thick poly finish on them, possibly nothing would resonate or sustain.
Korladis
Junior Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by Korladis »

iiipopes wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:21 pm
Korladis wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:35 am
iiipopes wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:26 pm
The more correct term is, "Since Rickenbacker is no longer finishing their 4003 fretboards...." Rickenbacker quit using nitro in @ 1958-9. Then they used a conversion varnish, aka catalyzed varnish, for a few decades, and now use a UV cured finish.
I've never really understood the fetishization many people have for nitro.
Supposedly, a hand-applied and buffed nitro finish is either thinner, or in some way "breathes" with the wood better to give better tone. Personally, I have never been able to tell the difference, although the most I have heard it was about late-'70's and early-'80's Strats and such that CBS had such a thick poly finish on them, possibly nothing would resonate or sustain.
I guess also like... Rickenbackers have always been my favorite basses, and haven't used nitro in forever, so it can't be that important. Nitro seems really delicate compared to conversion varnish, too.

Then again I also tend to play into a cranked overdriven amp so maybe it's a wash cause of that anyway.
Korladis
Junior Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by Korladis »

islandjimmy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:37 am
Korladis wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:35 am
iiipopes wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:26 pm
The more correct term is, "Since Rickenbacker is no longer finishing their 4003 fretboards...." Rickenbacker quit using nitro in @ 1958-9. Then they used a conversion varnish, aka catalyzed varnish, for a few decades, and now use a UV cured finish.
I've never really understood the fetishization many people have for nitro.
I think many people like nitro because it ages nicely, and some believe does not stifle the sound. Nitro "breathes" and never fully cures. It basically gasses off during the life of the instrument. Poly on the other hand, is like covering your guitar in plastic.
As opposed to covering your guitar in explosive lol.

Rickenbackers haven't had nitro in basically forever and they sound fine. Plus conversion varnish seems to be a lot more durable.
Korladis
Junior Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by Korladis »

jps wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:31 pm
Korladis wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:35 amI've never really understood the fetishization many people have for nitro.
It's probably a 7ender thing. :mrgreen:
Honestly seems like it. Seems to go with the mythos around like, magic capacitors and other such ideas.
User avatar
jps
RRF Consultant
Posts: 36871
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:00 am

Re: Lacquering a 4003 fretboard?

Post by jps »

Korladis wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:35 pm
jps wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:31 pm
Korladis wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:35 amI've never really understood the fetishization many people have for nitro.
It's probably a 7ender thing. :mrgreen:
Honestly seems like it. Seems to go with the mythos around like, magic capacitors and other such ideas.
On another forum Rick Turner (R.I.P.) had much to say (diss) about magic capacitors. :mrgreen:
Post Reply

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”