Refretting a 1961 450

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tinkerer

Refretting a 1961 450

Post by tinkerer »

I am new to the Forum and I seek sage advice. I am in the process of Refretting a 1961 450. I have removed the Frets with minimal damage and any tear out has been glued back into place. I have released the trussrod and tightened it back up maybe a half turn. From there I leveled the board. I plan on using a medium fret wire,as close to the original that stewmac could provide. I would like to get some feedback on the refinishing of the finger board. The owner is pretty much a 1st position strummer and is leaving the finish choice to me. I would like to use a nitro cellulose finish but am concerned about the deep grain. It appears they used a white grain filler when it was made. But with the leveling some grain has opened up.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance
collin

Re: Refretting a 1961 450

Post by collin »

My advice would have been to not plane the fretboard.

Why do people insist on doing this for Rickenbackers? It’s totally unnecessary. (Same with early maple board Fenders).

Now the guitar is permanently modified. Frets are a wearing part, but the finish is only original once.

For anybody else reading this in the future - just install taller frets and level them to the required level height.
tinkerer

Re: Refretting a 1961 450

Post by tinkerer »

I sure am glad I joined this awesome forum. Thanks for that great advice Collin.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”