2002 360/12 Turquoise Value: Semi-rare color?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lazerdriver

2002 360/12 Turquoise Value: Semi-rare color?

Post by lazerdriver »

I am considering parting with my mint-condition turquoise 2002 360/12. I have never been able to tune it well, even with a pro setup. I have never been able to play open chords well, still can't do a C-Major or B7 at all, and I have fairly skinny fingers. I replaced the nut several years ago with the wider version Ric sells, it helped a bit, but not as much as I hoped. I know there are some other options like Rickysounds and getting a 12-saddle bridge, but I feel like I might be chasing the Holy Grail and I will spend more time and money and still not get there.

So my question is: Is the turquoise color rare enough to warrant pricing it somewhat higher than the current standard colors? I have seen a few on Reverb. They seem to priced unrealistically high (one is $3700 and the other is $4750). Can't imagine anyone paying that much when most standard colors sell for $1000-$2000 less, unless someone really loves turquoise.

I know value is subjective sometimes, just interested to hear opinions.
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Re: 2002 360/12 Turquoise Value: Semi-rare color?

Post by brianeharmonjr »

I'm a bit of a Turquoise fanatic. I've owned a few over the years am fairly perpetually on the lookout. They seem to pop up more than Blueboy or Blueburst, and certainly less than Sea Green or Desert Gold (I'm on the lookout for all of the above, not so much for Amber Fireglo or Montezuma Brown). Not sure on production numbers comparatively, but selling price seems to reflect my perception of availability, or maybe the color is less appealing to some? Prices on all Rics (and everything else) is on the rise, and condition/originality/options are all factors. As you said, the ones currently up on resale sights are high and have been sitting for some time. I think the 360 models made in the years that this color was in production have a potentially less desirable cosmetic feature set (headstock dimensions, inlay width, etc.) than recent models as well.

If you priced it on the lower end of the $2400-$2800 (especially with those others in comparison and flexibility with reasonable offers), it probably wouldn't last too long, or you'd get some decent offers at least, $2K-$2400 range would probably be a fairly quick sale. The longer you can wait to cash out, the higher you can probably start the price and get realistic offers. I'd be tempted to send you an offer myself, but I'd have to let go of my MG 620/12, and I've got another TQ Ric. This is of course all assuming that all original hardware and case is included, no damage or modifications, and no structural issues.

A Ric 12, or a Rickenbacker in general, just simply isn't for everybody (neither is a Strat, Tele, or LP for that matter). If it doesn't work for you, there is no shame in that. Guitars come and go. I've let go of many that I regret selling/trading, and plenty that I barely remember. Better to have something around that you can use and enjoy and pass on the others to someone else who can do the same.
lazerdriver

Post by lazerdriver »

Well I just bought a used 381/12v69 and it plays, and tunes, like a dream. It looks like the nut may be a modified one. It has slightly more space between the 5th / 6th string pairs and the 4th / 5th string pairs, which is where I have most of my problems on the 360/12. Only about 1mm more space. I wouldn't think that little of space would make that much difference but it does. And the 12-saddle bridge solves all the tuning problems, and for tuning fanatics like me that will help me spend more time playing and less time tuning.

So, this gives me renewed hope in my 360/12. I really do hate the idea of parting with it even if it has been not much more than a wall decoration for so many years. I am going to look into a Rickysounds, or custom, nut and adding the 12-saddle bridge. Even if I have to do a re-fret to accommodate an ultra-wide spaced nut like some here have had done, I think it would be worth it.

I opened the compartment in the 360/12 case the other day and found my receipt from 20 years ago from Musicians Friend: $1049. I don't remember if it was on sale or if I negotiated a lower price or if that was just what list price was 20 years ago. But when I take that into account I could do all the upgrades and probably still be at less than the cost of a new 360/12.
collin

Post by collin »

I really love TUR, it's one of the nicest looking factory colors on nearly any model. The downside to me is that the offering of Turquoise seems to coincide with an era of production that I'm not particularly fond of (mid-90s through early 00s), mostly for setup reasons as you're experiencing.

That said, nearly anything can be sorted out. A new nut and a 12-saddle bridge can completely change the nature of that guitar. Hopefully without needing to refret the guitar.
lazerdriver

Post by lazerdriver »

collin wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:41 pm I really love TUR, it's one of the nicest looking factory colors on nearly any model. The downside to me is that the offering of Turquoise seems to coincide with an era of production that I'm not particularly fond of (mid-90s through early 00s), mostly for setup reasons as you're experiencing.
That's interesting that you mentioned the mid-90s through early 00s as setup problematic. When I had it setup, they had to tilt the bridge such that the side closest to the tailpiece sits quite a bit higher than the side closest to the pickups. I always assumed that was necessary to get the intonation into reasonable shape. Maybe that is not uncommon, but before that setup it was not tuneable at all.
Mrbigg

Post by Mrbigg »

Ric changed the string spacing around 2008/2009. It makes the guitar way more playable.
I bought a 2002 360/12 used and it was terrible. Bought a RickySounds brass nut for it. Didn’t get installed before I bought a brand new, 2021 360/12. Night and day difference n playability.
I did some more research and that’s when I found that Ric changed the spacing. I bought a new Ric nut and put it on the 2002.
What year is your 381?
By the way, I have huge, fat carrot fingers and if I can play these, anyone should be able to with the 2008 and later nut.
I’m 6’4” and 300 pounds.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”