An interesting 330 - what's up with the sticker on the head?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

t17137

Re: An interesting 330 - what's up with the sticker on the head?

Post by t17137 »

Maxwell
Can’t I just post my comments directly as I’m doing right now in response to your message?
As for putting people down for owning a Rickenbacker, well, I would never do that since I love my 65 330. It has been with me ever since I got it new in 1966. I also love my 92 American Standard Tele but they both have different feel and sounds. But the Rick is like a piece of art that you appreciate even when it’s not being played.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Sure, just keep posting right here. I was only pointing out that (for me, anyway) the “New Post” link is not really obvious (Find Waldo), but it’s where it logically should be. Anyway, what’s your experience/ observation regarding “…sticker on the head?”

It’s not too difficult to post a photo. I reduce the Image Size to a maximum of 1250 pixels horizontally (width) first with a simple photo editing program on my computer. The nice thing about this website is that you can upload photos directly from your computer (vs. using a photo hosting website). Just click the Attachments tab below, find your photo, and upload (Open). There will be a space for you to label the photo with some info, if you want. (Any inherent file info/tag associated with the photo will not be seen, only whatever you elect to add/type in after uploading.). Then click “place in line” and it will show up wherever your cursor is/was. The actual photo will only be seen in the preview mode or the final posting (only being able to see a text ID here within this composing/text area, which I think you can “cut & paste” to a different location within the post if needed).. Anyway, we all like to see photos of Ricks.

Well, welcome aboard! This is a really good website.

PS - I will be continuing/completing my “Truss Rod Blues” thread once my thumb fully heals from being traumatized while working on the guitar. I still have to finish putting it back together. It will be a nail-biting tale of suspense and woe.
t17137

Post by t17137 »

This has been a real interesting read regarding serial plates vs serial stickers on the 1965 330 models. There is a lot of knowledge in this forum and a lot has been gained by me just following the threads the experts have provided.
As mentioned in my 2015 Sept post, mine is a1965 330/6 Fireglo that I purchased from a well known music store in Toronto Canada (Long and McQuade) and the serial number 4506 is stamped into a foil sticker sealed over by several layers of clear coat making it an integral part of the headstock. These would be very hard to remove unlike Jack plates held on by 4 small screws which were known to be easily stolen at the time.
I have removed the pick guards and confirmed the pots to be from 1965 as they are stamped 31056 137.6526, the control knobs also match the ones in the illustrated parts sheet for a 65 and it has the conventional R tailpiece. Looking into the controls cavity, the large hand written letters indicate that the body intended to be a 365-T but the number 6 was written over to be a 4 so probably some reallocation must have taken place during manufacture and this is part of the mystery.
Was the instrument intended for the NAMM show in June to July of 1965? I have my doubts since I didn’t pick it up till Dec. 29 of that year. Surely it wouldn’t take Rickenbacker five months to deliver a finished product in North America unless it was made in a normal manufacturing time frame.
As to the authenticity of my guitar, I have correspondence from Rickenbacker service reps stating that based on the pictures I sent them in January 2004 the guitar looks authentic but no comment on the sticker.
What baffles me is with all the different ideas expressed in this forum, is that a large company like Rickenbacker hasn’t stepped in to confirm that serial stickers were used on some 1965 models instead of the conventional serial plates which are so well documented.
After all these years I’m still very pleased with the sound and quality of my Rick but regarding the provenance issue, I think the company should make a firm statement to clear up all the hypothesis and speculation.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”