90th anniversary XC basses and guitars still in production with 2022 serial numbers!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

90th anniversary XC basses and guitars still in production with 2022 serial numbers!

Post by lumgimfong »

I thought they were a limited run but my local dealer has several of the guitars and basses in stock with 2022 serial numbers.
Wonder how long they will be in production. I thought their 90th anniversary was in 2021. They are more than I'd want to pay for a bass but I think they are really nice.
Isaac

Re: 90th anniversary XC basses and guitars still in production with 2022 serial numbers!

Post by Isaac »

As I recall, they were supposed to be a limited run.
At first, the word I heard was that there were supposed to be only 90 of them. Then, that they'd accept orders up until a certain point, and no more would be made after those orders were filled.
But maybe they proved too popular? I dunno. I know nothing!
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: 90th anniversary XC basses and guitars still in production with 2022 serial numbers!

Post by lumgimfong »

That’s what I heard.
They have a 2 jetglos and 2 fireglos left. All 2022 SN but with 90th Ann. Stickers on them.
Love to have one but ain’t no way I’m payin $5k for a bass.
They have a few xc guitars too.
No affiliation:
https://www.billsmusic.com/#/0a899619-f ... and&rpp=10
Koshchei

Post by Koshchei »

I'd chalk it up to Rickenbacker's low production capacity. They're producing 90 of each alongside their regular production, which bottlenecks how quickly they can build them.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I'm not sure where the "limited run of 90 each" rumor got started. They were available to order for a limited time. People went nuts and ordered a lot of them. Much like the COY program, actual production completion dates can fall in a year later than the one they are intended to memorialize.
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

If its any help, I received mine last week in the UK, via Rosetti / Sound Affects, and it is a Jetglo, with 90th anniversary stickers and a shiny fretboard.

It looks to me that the "exported" XC's have a different serial numbering convention from the native USA ones?
USA seem to use 2 digits for the year, 2 digits for the week, and a 3 digit serial?

Mine has 22 at the top and 40001 at the bottom, so i'm guessing this is the first "export" Jetglo XC?

I'd be interested to see what numbering the Fireglo exports use.....?
...and the 480's...?

I did order mine literally when they were announced, back in January 2021....but it's been worth the wait: a beautiful instrument, arrived set-up and ready to go.
I think that, after around 30 years dabbling on the bass here and there, and owning half a dozen in that time, I've discovered that a short-scale is probably a better fit for me than a standard 34"....!? lol! :roll:

Grab one while you can.... 8)
Designer, Engineer, Music Producer, a little obsessive about music for my own good! It's certainly kept me poor!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Week 40. But I can't remember at what stage serials get assigned.
GGomez

Post by GGomez »

Any idea what where the second hand market sits on the 4005XC
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

If anything like other recent year Ric models-above retail!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

There are people asking for prices well above initial list price, but quite a few below as well.

https://reverb.com/p/rickenbacker-90th- ... ary-4005xc
scotty

Post by scotty »

I got mine early in Scotland I think it was the first one to hit the UK.19th June 2021
Week 13 of 2021.
It's so old now it's vintage ;)
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

I think the Fireglo's are readily available in the UK: SoundAffects have a few brand new in stock.
They've had them since late last year.

The 4005C 100th Anniversary edition is just round the corner, too.....! :D
Designer, Engineer, Music Producer, a little obsessive about music for my own good! It's certainly kept me poor!
Koshchei

Post by Koshchei »

It'll be a 381-based bass with All The German Carves.
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

Koshchei wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:28 pm It'll be a 381-based bass with All The German Carves.
Haha!
Probably! :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”