300 series return to 21 frets

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

steverok
Intermediate Member

Re: 300 series return to 21 frets

Post by steverok »

brianeharmonjr wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 pm Also, I actually really like Hi-Gain pickups, but the cosmetics of Toasters on these is a must
Yeah, they look strange with hi-gains, to me.
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

Here's a full frontal pic from Fab Gear:

Messaged a dealer on Reverb that has a few posted with a few questions. Regarding the fingerboard, they said "The fretboard is indeed gloss, and Rickenbacker has switched back. They actually switched back again at the end of 2022, after many complaints about the raw finished rosewood. So, gloss is here to stay."

Gonna wait for Dave's to get some more in, as they are my dealer of choice. Best prices and have always provided great service for me. They have a MG, but I'm hoping they get a JG in, especially if it's one with a dark and interesting fingerboard, but might go MG.

Would LOVE to get some feedback/comparison from anyone who has a chance to get their hands on them!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

For me, the aesthetics of toaster vs higain is less noticeable than that of 21 fret vs 24. I like both kinds of pickups, they make different sounds. Visually, I get 5-10 feet away from the instrument and can’t tell a difference, unless the lighting is dead on.

Smaller headstocks, 21-fret fingerboards...no, they “don’t make them like they used to,” but they are much closer to it, to the punter (that is, to those mostly giving a passing glance), and are also more consistently crafted and reliable. I’m stoked.

This is a cool and unexpected move.

Bring on the 12-strings!
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

kennyhowes wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:48 am For me, the aesthetics of toaster vs higain is less noticeable than that of 21 fret vs 24. I like both kinds of pickups, they make different sounds. Visually, I get 5-10 feet away from the instrument and can’t tell a difference, unless the lighting is dead on.
With this move, I think they should bring back the "VP" factory option, meaning we could get 21-fret Ric's with toasters, just like the 60s guitars. I would end up with at least two more lol.
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

They should also go back to the Kluson type tuners
Uffingdon

Post by Uffingdon »

rickinroma wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:14 pm They should also go back to the Kluson type tuners
+1

Ben Hall did chime in on another thread recently regarding replacement Kluson type tuners where he said RIC have found a supplier offering a better quality product, so fingers crossed 🤞
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Uffingdon wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:19 pm
rickinroma wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:14 pm They should also go back to the Kluson type tuners
+1

Ben Hall did chime in on another thread recently regarding replacement Kluson type tuners where he said RIC have found a supplier offering a better quality product, so fingers crossed 🤞
I know Ben said something, somewhere, about switching from Schaller to Gotoh, but not sure if that includes the vintage-style tuning keys.
collin

Post by collin »

jps wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:13 pm
Uffingdon wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:19 pm
+1

I know Ben said something, somewhere, about switching from Schaller to Gotoh, but not sure if that includes the vintage-style tuning keys.
That was specific to the vintage style tuner keys used on reissue models. (switching from a Schaller vintage Kluson-style tuner to a Gotoh vintage style tuner). AFAIK, nothing has been said about changing the sealed Schaller tuners on non-reissue models.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:18 pm
jps wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:13 pm
Uffingdon wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:19 pm +1

That was specific to the vintage style tuner keys used on reissue models. (switching from a Schaller vintage Kluson-style tuner to a Gotoh vintage style tuner). AFAIK, nothing has been said about changing the sealed Schaller tuners on non-reissue models.
Thanks for the clarification.
collin

Post by collin »

Sure thing.

In fact, Ben recently shared a photo of new Gotoh sealed tuners for the 330s that have a special Rickenbacker "R" etched on the back (same as the R tailpiece style), which look really cool.

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I love the Gotoh 510 tuning keys that are on my two Yamamotos. :D
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

12-strings poppin' up now:

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

They just look so right. :D

And I love that RIC is putting the vintage-style knobs on them!

Yeah, toaster pickups would very much add to the whole concept. :wink:
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

...and a Mapleglo 12:

scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

I've been out of the loop for a year or so... I wouldn't have expected them to go back to finished fretboards or 21 frets, but these new instruments are looking really sharp! The slimmer headstocks and vintage knobs are nice touches, too.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”