Mastery Bridge: Does It Make A Difference?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

maxwell

Re: Mastery Bridge: Does It Make A Difference?

Post by maxwell »

At first try, I was not able to attach my RIC bridge cover onto the Mastery base plate. But someone (here?) mentioned that it was possible with some fiddling. Without any cover in place, I tried my RIC screws to see if they would properly fit into the Mastery base screw holes, and they did. Next I attached only one side of the RIC cover, screwing the screw in about 2/3 of the way, allowing for a very loose fitting cover on that end/side of the bridge. On the other side of the bridge/cover, to get the cover hole to line up with the base hole, I had to push (squeeze) that vertical side of the cover in slightly; it will flex a little bit. I could then get the second screw started, and I kept some pressure on the side of the cover until the screw was in halfway or so. Then I just alternated tightening the screws until both were seated and the cover was secured. If I hadn't been able to do it that way, I would have adjusted (elongated) the holes in the RIC cover.
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

maxwell wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:46 pm At first try, I was not able to attach my RIC bridge cover onto the Mastery base plate. But someone (here?) mentioned that it was possible with some fiddling. Without any cover in place, I tried my RIC screws to see if they would properly fit into the Mastery base screw holes, and they did. Next I attached only one side of the RIC cover, screwing the screw in about 2/3 of the way, allowing for a very loose fitting cover on that end/side of the bridge. On the other side of the bridge/cover, to get the cover hole to line up with the base hole, I had to push (squeeze) that vertical side of the cover in slightly; it will flex a little bit. I could then get the second screw started, and I kept some pressure on the side of the cover until the screw was in halfway or so. Then I just alternated tightening the screws until both were seated and the cover was secured. If I hadn't been able to do it that way, I would have adjusted (elongated) the holes in the RIC cover.
Not exactly a tiptoe through the tulips lol. My holes seem short, like I would have to bend one side out and not in. Thanks.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

The paired holes on mine were about 1/16 in. out of line. If your second pair of holes is only off by that that much, maybe pull (flex) the end out slightly…? If this doesn’t work and you have a small Dremel drill/grinding bit, elongating both holes would seem like the best option. (I don’t think the Mastery cover would ever look good, no matter how much you polished it. I have no plans for mine; it’s just sitting in a box….) Let us know how it goes.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

...Just in case you need a small drill bit, here's a link to Harbor Freight and their offerings of diamond bits: I have the first set listed, which includes a 1/16 in. bit.; the least expensive offering. Those other sets look interesting, if you wanted a greater variety for possible future projects. If you don't have a Dremel, I suppose a regular drill would work; a variable chuck should be able to lock onto the 1/16th bit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q= ... tary%20bit
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

No drilling or grinding should be needed; I just did the folowing a minute ago: Place the factor bridge cover on the MAstery Bridge. Center one hole, install one screw about half way, then place the other screw in the opposite hole, gently press down and slightly outward on the the screw with the screwdriver while tightneing. There is enough flex in the bridge cover steel for the screw to seat in the threads and tighten-youll fell the screw grab the threads after a umber of turns. alternate between screws until both screws are snug. OR, install one screw, and press down on the middle of the bridge cover-the cover will flex just enough so the other hole lines up and the screw can be easily installed without any fuss. :D

Relatedly, the bridge cover was already removed from the factory bridge on my Rick, so not an issue for me, because I often use an EBow, held backwards to I can more easily alternate between picking and bowing, and held backwards, the EBow bangs into the bridge cover, so I remove my bridge covers.
Attachments
IMG_5291.jpeg
IMG_5291.jpeg
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

paologregorio wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:01 pm No drilling or grinding should be needed; I just did the folowing a minute ago: Place the factor bridge cover on the MAstery Bridge. Center one hole, install one screw about half way, then place the other screw in the opposite hole, gently press down and slightly outward on the the screw with the screwdriver while tightneing. There is enough flex in the bridge cover steel for the screw to seat in the threads and tighten-youll fell the screw grab the threads after a umber of turns. alternate between screws until both screws are snug. OR, install one screw, and press down on the middle of the bridge cover-the cover will flex just enough so the other hole lines up and the screw can be easily installed without any fuss. :D

Relatedly, the bridge cover was already removed from the factory bridge on my Rick, so not an issue for me, because I often use an EBow, held backwards to I can more easily alternate between picking and bowing, and held backwards, the EBow bangs into the bridge cover, so I remove my bridge covers.
Good explanation. I think (now) that I probably pulled out (flexed out) one end of the cover after securing the opposite end loosely with a screw, just to make getting that second screw started a little easier. I probably should have paid more attention, but I just fiddled (tried this, tried that, etc.) until it worked. Yes, no drilling required.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Happy to be of service! Glad you were able to install your bridge cover!
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”