Matamp Green Bass 200 custom head

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bassmekanik

Matamp Green Bass 200 custom head

Post by bassmekanik »

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

I picked up the Matamp Green Bass 200 shown in the picture below the other week from a friend who had it sitting around in his studio (Theres more story behind how he came to own it). Its a custom build and appears to be fairly old (circa 90's maybe?). Has a small sticker on the back which states "Custom built for Stan Milne by Matamp". No idea who Stan Milne is (thats not who the previous owner before my friend was) but he has a nice taste. Sounds pretty amazing it must be said.

When plugged in to input 2 it only uses the bottom row of controls to give a pretty clean sound. When plugged in to input one it uses both rows of controls and gives a very nice range from clean/gentle fuzz to a decent overdrive. Im currently using it with an Ampeg 2x10 that was part of my Micro-SL mini stack. Will upgrade some time later this year to a 4X10 of some type. Not quite sure yet what I`ll aim for.

A couple of the control pots are quite crackly and probably need replacing. I plan to get in touch with Matamp sometime and see if they can supply me with some direct replacements for them and also let me know when it was made, if they can.
Matamp Green Bass 200.jpg
4003AC and Green.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Matamp Green Bass 200 custom head

Post by jps »

Very cool amp you got there!

What is a Pre-In?
bassmekanik

Post by bassmekanik »

I do not know!

There were no instructions or hints as to how it worked so we had to figure it all out. We thought it was 2 channel originally but worked out pretty quickly thats not how it should be used.

I`m hoping once i speak to Matamp they can fill in all the blanks I have.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Pre-In, I’d guess, is if you were using the power amp only, like if you’re linking from another head and running multiple cabinets.

The pots just might be dirty, have you tried De-Oxit?

I bet this thing sounds great.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Also, I have a big roll of repro amp covering that is the same green basket weave as seen here that I’d trade off.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

kennyhowes wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:33 am Pre-In, I’d guess, is if you were using the power amp only, like if you’re linking from another head and running multiple cabinets.
The Brits certainly have their own way of labelling thing! Most would call that a Power Amp in. :mrgreen:
bassmekanik

Post by bassmekanik »

kennyhowes wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:33 am Pre-In, I’d guess, is if you were using the power amp only, like if you’re linking from another head and running multiple cabinets.

The pots just might be dirty, have you tried De-Oxit?

I bet this thing sounds great.
The pots are definitely dirty and could do with a clean. I need to pick up some proper contact cleaner and get at it. Just been a bit busy since picking it up.

It sounds amazing. Really chuffed I managed to get this one.
kennyhowes wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:35 am Also, I have a big roll of repro amp covering that is the same green basket weave as seen here that I’d trade off.
I might be tempted in the future. Although ive just sent off a message to Matamp asking for any info they have etc. I know they offer a return and service option on all their equipment regardless of age so i might be tempted to do that (i`m lazy tbh). Depending on cost. After checking it yesterday well over half the pots are dirty/crackly so might be best to just get them all replaced.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”