300 series return to 21 frets

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

steverok
Intermediate Member

Re: 300 series return to 21 frets

Post by steverok »

Everyone seems to focus on the aesthetics of the new 21-fret models. Personally, I see no improvement, per se, of 21 frets. If anything, with 53 years of history behind the 24-fret versions, and me looking at my own 24-fret Ric's for the past 19 years, the new versions look a bit odd to me. That being said, if, at some point, I hear definitive evidence that the tone of the new 21-fret models is different, and perhaps for the better, especially in regards to the 12-string models with toasters, then I will be getting me one of those.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

steverok wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:00 pm Everyone seems to focus on the aesthetics of the new 21-fret models. Personally, I see no improvement, per se, of 21 frets. If anything, with 53 years of history behind the 24-fret versions, and me looking at my own 24-fret Ric's for the past 19 years, the new versions look a bit odd to me. That being said, if, at some point, I hear definitive evidence that the tone of the new 21-fret models is different, and perhaps for the better, especially in regards to the 12-string models with toasters, then I will be getting me one of those.
There is no question that the tone of the neck pickup (and therefore, middle position) will different; whether or not its "better" is subjective.
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

sloop_john_b wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:55 pm
steverok wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:00 pm Everyone seems to focus on the aesthetics of the new 21-fret models. Personally, I see no improvement, per se, of 21 frets. If anything, with 53 years of history behind the 24-fret versions, and me looking at my own 24-fret Ric's for the past 19 years, the new versions look a bit odd to me. That being said, if, at some point, I hear definitive evidence that the tone of the new 21-fret models is different, and perhaps for the better, especially in regards to the 12-string models with toasters, then I will be getting me one of those.
There is no question that the tone of the neck pickup (and therefore, middle position) will different; whether or not its "better" is subjective.
Not to mention the neck feel. The neck is a vintage throwback profile and pretty much everyone that has held one prefers it.
collin

Post by collin »

RIC_FACTORY wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:47 am
Not to mention the neck feel. The neck is a vintage throwback profile and pretty much everyone that has held one prefers it.
Absolutely. It really is a huge improvement, the new neck shape (both guitars and bass models). Very comfortable and easy to play.
JingleJangle

Post by JingleJangle »

collin wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:53 am

Absolutely. It really is a huge improvement, the new neck shape (both guitars and bass models). Very comfortable and easy to play.
It looks to me like the new profile is skinnier from the specs I’ve seen on the Wildwood site vs. the 24 fretters…to me, that would not be a welcome spec as I prefer a slightly chunkier neck.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

JingleJangle wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:42 pm

It looks to me like the new profile is skinnier from the specs I’ve seen on the Wildwood site vs. the 24 fretters…to me, that would not be a welcome spec as I prefer a slightly chunkier neck.
Most of us prefer the nice, older vintage neck profile.
collin

Post by collin »

JingleJangle wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:42 pm

Can't please everyone.

But there is a consistent preference for vintage style neck profiles, as Jeff points out.
JingleJangle

Post by JingleJangle »

A lot of players prefer a chunkier neck regardless of brand, skinny necks can be cramp inducing to many players including myself. Historically accurate to a particular era is not always preferable, and let’s also be mindful of the fact that there are iconic Ric players that famously played the chunkier 24 fretters…Buck, Marr etc. Sweeping generalizations of “most of us” are kind of presumptuous and silly. Also, it seems odd that the toasters are absent on these newer models if historical accuracy is the goal.
collin

Post by collin »

JingleJangle wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:23 am A lot of players prefer a chunkier neck regardless of brand, skinny necks can be cramp inducing to many players including myself. Historically accurate to a particular era is not always preferable, and let’s also be mindful of the fact that there are iconic Ric players that famously played the chunkier 24 fretters…Buck, Marr etc. Sweeping generalizations of “most of us” are kind of presumptuous and silly. Also, it seems odd that the toasters are absent on these newer models if historical accuracy is the goal.
They're not intended to be reissue models (hence no toasters, X-bracing, plexi TRC, Kluson tuners etc.).

I get that you have a preference for the neck shape, and good for you. There are plenty of guitars around that fit your preferences, including many Rickenbackers.

But you don't understand the market for Rickenbackers enough if you think that chunky necks are what most Rickenbacker players want, full stop.

Welcome to the RRF, also.
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

JingleJangle wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:23 am and let’s also be mindful of the fact that there are iconic Ric players that famously played the chunkier 24 fretters…Buck, Marr etc.
Here, here. Peter Buck is absolutely what drew me to Ric's, and he has used them, famously, longer than anyone, I think. The hi-gain pickup sound has always been "The Sound" for me. I really hope to hear some 24-fret vs 21-fret sound samples with toaster and hi-gains, eventually, preferably playing early R.E.M. !!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:05 am
JingleJangle wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:23 am A lot of players prefer a chunkier neck regardless of brand...
...I get that you have a preference for the neck shape, and good for you. There are plenty of guitars around that fit your preferences, including many Rickenbackers.

But you don't understand the market for Rickenbackers enough if you think that chunky necks are what most Rickenbacker players want, full stop.

Welcome to the RRF, also.
Truth!
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

JingleJangle wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:23 am A lot of players prefer a chunkier neck regardless of brand, skinny necks can be cramp inducing to many players including myself. Historically accurate to a particular era is not always preferable, and let’s also be mindful of the fact that there are iconic Ric players that famously played the chunkier 24 fretters…Buck, Marr etc. Sweeping generalizations of “most of us” are kind of presumptuous and silly. Also, it seems odd that the toasters are absent on these newer models if historical accuracy is the goal.
Historical accuracy was not the goal. We saw a big demand for this change and did it. Even put up an IG poll at the end of last year and 21 frets won decisively. Something like 84% supported the move. Anyone that has felt this neck profile has really dug it. You might not, but at least there are plenty of 24 fretters out there if you're in the market.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Thanks for listening to your customers! That is one reason why we love Rickenbackers!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

scoobster28 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:43 pm Thanks for listening to your customers! That is one reason why we love Rickenbackers!
8)
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

steverok wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:21 am
JingleJangle wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:23 am and let’s also be mindful of the fact that there are iconic Ric players that famously played the chunkier 24 fretters…Buck, Marr etc.
Here, here. Peter Buck is absolutely what drew me to Ric's, and he has used them, famously, longer than anyone, I think. The hi-gain pickup sound has always been "The Sound" for me. I really hope to hear some 24-fret vs 21-fret sound samples with toaster and hi-gains, eventually, preferably playing early R.E.M. !!
I’m with you on Peter Buck, and a good Buck model would be the one he had done by RIC with the Bigsby. I like my ‘66 a lot but also my ‘94, which is mostly what I play. So I would love to hear a comparison as well. The ‘66 is really comfortable to play but I can’t abuse it like I do to the ‘94. But it can take it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”