Worth the wait?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

WillyWonka

Re: Worth the wait?

Post by WillyWonka »

jps wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:42 pm
WillyWonka wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:37 pm Pickup question.

Adjusting the pickups, and not going to take anything apart….

Tired to lower the neck pickup and it didn’t want to go lower.

Foam under the chrome bezel but I’m getting the impression the route isn’t deep enough to lower it even if I remove the foam..

Amirite?

Pickup balance was 50-70% louder favoring the neck pickup, but adjusting the poles on the bridge pickup sorted it to perfection..

I love single coils anyway, but I think these hi-gains are my favorites…
Try the vintage type rubber Gromits grommets instead, maybe even cutting them in half to make them even thinner. Put then in the four corners, too, just like on vintage Ricks.

4005WB Neck Toaster Detail M 1280 01.jpg

I finally set the fireglo down and focused my attention on the mapleglo..

Similar situation, neck pickup was overpowering the bridge, so same adjustments to the bridge poles and sorted.

I think next string change I may try the grommet trick on the neck pickups of both guitars, but pushing the bezel down I’m not getting much movement so the routes may not be deep enough, but I’ll at least look.

I ended up taking the bridge covers off both geetars, and my favorite bridge which WAS the Gibson tuna-matic has been replaced by whatever ric is calling this bridge…
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

I would say that P-90's were my runaway favorite pickups...

were.... These Hi-Gains are phenomenal... I was considering putting toasters in one of the 620's but I have abandoned that plan... hi-gains in bass are nice but not as nice as they are in treble geetar....

I'll definitely get a 660 for toasters...

I'm still looking at a vibrato.. I'm changing some of my bigsby's on a couple telecasters so I may have a B5 or two instead of the accent... I'd want them cut down if I do that so we shall see.
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

So on another note, I did find some bridges similar to the ones on the 620's.

I bought a couple to check out the quality and to use on project geetars where I would normally use a Gibstone tuna-matic.

One of the projects is a B-16 bigsby Telecaster. The Bigsby can be had with a Gretsch style bridge but they still make them for a wound G string.

Why in the world they would still keep making such an outdated style is beyond me.... when was the last time you could walk into a music store and get a set of strings with a wound G? 1962?

so I paid less and got a B-16 without the bridge I can't use....
Uffingdon

Post by Uffingdon »

Attachments
IMG_0349.png
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Uffingdon wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:48 pm Image
I do have one of the non-compensated gretsch bridges, and the Ric style on the way.

If I feel adventurous, I may pick up a set of wound G strings and try them since it will be easy to swap between bridges...

I have also been thinking to get a set of flatwounds for one of the 620's....

I haven't experimented with strings for a couple decades....
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

I may have to put off my 660 purchase, or maybe just be happy with what I have?

So I was thinking of switching one of the 620’s to toasters, and it looks like lollars will be in the same price range as the Ric toasters…

Any thoughts on lollars vs toasters?

AND if I get the lollars, I can justify getting a 660 with toasters later…
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Well, lollar says they don’t have a source for some part or another to make their broiler/toasters, and have no interest in me sending in my hi-gains.

So I’ll just have to get a 660…

I could also do a rewind on one set of hi-gains, change magnets and slugs etc…

I tend to prefer lower wind pickups so that may be the way to go…
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

well, I had a B5 bigsby in my ebay cart and the seller sent me a special offer, and I couldn't refuse it...

I could put it on one of my telecasters, or I can put it on the ClownGlo 620....

I have pretty much decided the accent vibrato is not for me....
BobbyMac

Post by BobbyMac »

I ordered my MapleGlo 1993Plus at Sweetwater in October 2022. The price offered ($2699) was a lot less than either Wildwood and Fuller's. Got word on Monday that it was in, shipped yesterday, scheduled delivery tomorrow, Friday. My sales engineer last year predicted a November delivery, so it arrived a month early. Looking forward to this new one. Pics can be seen here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... al=2328723
mike_d

Post by mike_d »

BobbyMac wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:44 pm I ordered my MapleGlo 1993Plus at Sweetwater in October 2022. The price offered ($2699) was a lot less than either Wildwood and Fuller's. Got word on Monday that it was in, shipped yesterday, scheduled delivery tomorrow, Friday. My sales engineer last year predicted a November delivery, so it arrived a month early. Looking forward to this new one. Pics can be seen here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... al=2328723
Congratulations! I’m sure you will love, especially now that they are being shipped with better tuning machines. My 2021 shipped with the dreaded ****** tuners that i had to have replaced. Fortunately, Rickenbacker replaced them all under warranty when they got a new supplier. Enjoy!
325c64 JG,325c58 JG, 325/12v63 JG, 350v63 JG, 1996 FG, 360/12c63 FG, 360/6 Carl Wilson FG, 1993Plus FG, 660/12 FG, 425 FG (1965), 360/12 FG (1965/67)

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”