Early Rose Morris 1996

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Aces&8s

Early Rose Morris 1996

Post by Aces&8s »

G'day from Australia,

This is my dad's 1964 Rose Morris model 1996 (British export of the Rickenbacker 325) that he recently gave to me.
20231219_163518.jpg
Says he can't really play it thesedays due to arthritis in his fingers (he's 77 years old).
Said I may as well have it due to being the only other person in the family that's ever picked up a guitar.

Now prepare yourself for a big wall of text as I unload a Antique Roadshow style story of how this guitar came to be in the family. Feel free to skip.

[STORY START]

He bought this guitar 2nd hand in the mid 70s at a music shop called Reno's back in Manchester (UK).
At the time he was in a band that played the pub scene and wanted to upgrade from his Egmond Lucky 7.

At first he got a 2nd hand Gibson Stereo but ultimately found the neck too wide for his hands. So at the band's suggestion he headed down to Reno's on Oxford Rd and spoke to the owner (Jimmy Reno) about getting a trade.

Now Jimmy Reno was something of a local celebrity at the time but my dad remembers him as "A tight Scottish git!".
I don't know if he was actually Scottish but apparently he had an accent that sounded a bit further north than Manchester.
Perhaps there was a widely held belief that anything north of Manchester may as well be in Scotland? I don't know.

Anyway Jimmy recommended the Rickenbacker 1996 from his 2nd hand stock as it had a thinner neck and shorter scale.

My dad found the Ricky far easier to play than anything else he tried but was not too keen on the jangle. But as the best option available he went with it.

Reno agreed to a part-ex on the Gibson (which reduced the price on the Ricky to something like £20) and a deal was almost made. Almost because Reno then said "Now lad. Let's talk about the price of the hardcase."

This was where Reno was being a bit dodgy as he was trying to charge extra for the hardcase that came with the Ricky from the factory.
Fortunately my dad wasn't fooled and said that if the Ricky's hardcase isn't thrown in he was going to keep the Gibson's hardcase and put the Ricky in that.
Reno was like "No No! Don't do that! Are you mad?"

In the end Reno relented presumably because didn't want to be lumped with trying to sell a used Rickenbacker hardcase and a Gibson Stereo without a case.

Eventually my dad left the band around 1979 and got a job on the North Sea oil rigs.
He needed the money as he'd married my mum that year and had a kid on the way (my sister).
Couple of years later I'm born and later the whole family immigrates to Australia in 1985 bringing the guitar with us.

In the early 90s (when mortgage interest rates in Australia were going through the roof) he almost pawned the Ricky off at a music shop trying to raise some extra money.
The guy at the shop didn't really know what he was looking at.
Basically just said it was definitely from the 60s but that it wasn't worth very much.
I'm glad my dad decided not to sell it at whatever low ball price they were offering.

So yeah this guitar has been in my family for around 50 years or so and now he's handing it to me.

[STORY END]

TLDR: Dad acquired guitar 2nd hand in the UK sometime in the mid 70's and kept it every since.

It would have been cool to know who bought it new but that's obviously lost to time.

The serial number on it (DA06) has been a nightmare to decipher as it doesn't bring anything up in Rickenbacker's online serial checker.
After much research from various online sources (but mostly from posts in this forum and the Rick register) I've come to believe that "DA" means January 1964 and "06" means 6th off the line. Or rather the 6th Rickenbacker that Rose Morris put a plate on.
Should I be completely mistaken I'm hoping someone here might put me in the right direction as there isn't much info out there about 60's era RoMo serials.
Attachments
20230620_202631.jpg
20230620_202626.jpg
20230620_202605.jpg
20230620_202540.jpg
20221018_161034.jpg
collin

Re: Early Rose Morris 1996

Post by collin »

Very nice indeed!

I’m so glad your dad didn’t sell that guitar and was able to pass it on to you. Hold on to it!

The serial number is very easy to decipher and you are right about most of what you wrote. The guitar was made in January 1964 and was in the very first shipment of guitars going to Rose Morris (which effectively initiated the distributorship). These shipped out presumably in late February and would have landed in London sometime in late March or early April of that year.

Serial numbers start sequentially at the beginning of each year, and while the guitars were assigned a serial number only during the assembly phase, that was the sixth serial number assigned in 1964, and among the very first Rose Morris models produced. I believe only a few digits are earlier than yours.

Looks like it’s been lovingly cared for as well, and in great shape.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

What Collin said! And welcome to the Forum! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Wow, what a first post! That one is definitely a keeper.

I have some DE and DK Rose Morris guitars so this is one of the earliest I have seen in Australia.
Aces&8s

Post by Aces&8s »

Thank you for all the info and kind words. :)

It's been a long journey trying to figure out this guitar since thinking it was a 325 and being confused when the serial checker came back with nothing.

Very surprised that this turned out to be such an early example of a rare export model.
I would be cool if it was the first 1996 ever made but that's probably impossible to prove a good 60 years (as of this month) later.

But the important thing is it stills sounds great and my dad was happy to see me playing it at my family's Xmas get together.
collin

Post by collin »

Aces&8s wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:04 am
I would be cool if it was the first 1996 ever made but that's probably impossible to prove a good 60 years (as of this month) later.
...Actually it can be proven (but it's not the first one).

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”