what I can hear on Beatles records

The history and music of the Fab Four
wolfgang

Re: what I can hear on Beatles records

Post by wolfgang »

Recently, it has become possible for everyone to use intelligent filters in the net to separate instruments and voices in fairly good quality. So, for analysis, it's becoming more and more irrelevant what was mixed for the original records. Therefore I have decided to end the series of "What I can hear on the Beatles' records" now.
But two things I want to tell are left:
1) "It's only love" from the Help!-LP: after John sings a very Scottish "brrright" I can figure George giggling heavily and almost misplaying his (simultaneusly recorded) guitar filling at about 0:56. Very charming. Good they didn't correct it.
2) "Hold me tight": It is reported somewhere in the literature that this song was already recorded during the recording session for the Please Please Me LP, but it could not be used at the time. My speculation: the continuous guitar signature figure was not properly recordable with the hard limiting EMI-compressors used at the time. Only after the introduction of a new type of compressor the song was recorded and released on "With the Beatles". No matter what others say, I like that song very much. It's nice how the song slows down and at the end the train comes to a stop at the station.

I was still nine years old, when I bought my first Beatles' record, "I want to hold your hand" in spring of 1964, sixty years ago.

Wolfgang

Return to “Beatles' Forum”