Current horseshoe vs highgain

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

henry5
Advanced Member

Current horseshoe vs highgain

Post by henry5 »

I’d be interested to hear people’s thoughts on the differences tonally and in terms of output - assuming there are any - between the current incarnations of the reissue horseshoe and higain. I’m thinking of trying one of them in one of my other basses and obviously they’re not cheap. I’ve had the older, hotter horseshoes, but I’ve only briefly tried a later one in a C64.
henry5
Advanced Member

Re: Current horseshoe vs highgain

Post by henry5 »

Anyone?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Wish I could give you some kind of answer but my only experience with RI horseshoe pickup is with two of the earlier, hotter ones; regarding hi-gains, the two basses that I had that came with them were replaced with scatterwound toasters upon arrival. :(
ram

Post by ram »

My brief experience here -

I have never played an original HS. I have heard many played over the years but I personally not played one. I have an original Lollar (Law Suite) HS, Which I have on my '74 4001. I played a RI HS about a year after they first cam out.

So to me the original Rickenbacker HS and the Lollar have a similar sound. A warm almost microphonic effect to them. They both have magnetic shoes, maybe that has something to do with it.

The RIHS seemed to have a harsher kind of sound to it. To me almost like that of a HG, a bit brighter.

I can't help you with that output too much as I don't worry too much about that. I use volume and tone knobs on the Bass, SansAmp and regular amp. I do think the RIHS has a hotter output to the ear.

HTH
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”