Vibrating wavey Grover causing noise

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Vibrating wavey Grover causing noise

Post by chrisdski »

I have an annoying unwanted vibration that I’ve narrowed down to my A string wavey Grover on my 73 4001FL. Any tips to fix this besides disassembling it? I’ve changed the strings and eliminated other possible vibration areas. I know about the re-swagging exploded Grover technique. Is there grease that may have dried out inside giving it more play?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Re: Vibrating wavey Grover causing noise

Post by rickenbrother »

Does the case feel loose at all? If so, it's best to take it apart and fix it. I recently had one come apart on my '73 4001. I removed the tuner carefully applied a little Krazy glue to each of the four studs with a toothpick and put it back together, I breathed on it to make the glue set faster. After several gigs and many practices, it's fine.

It's really not a big deal to do this. Just be careful not to lose the little spacing washer at the end of the key shaft.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

Thanks for the reply, Joey. Disassembly will probably be the answer. If anyone has an E/A side wavey Grover available, shoot me a PM.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

chrisdski wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:32 pm Thanks for the reply, Joey. Disassembly will probably be the answer. If anyone has an E/A side wavey Grover available, shoot me a PM.
You're welcome. It doesn't have to be an E/A side tuner. They are reversible if you take it apart and insert the key the opposite way.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Yes indeed the best solution is to disassemble and re-swage and they usually function smoother afterwards too.
Might as well repack with proper lube while you're at it.
It's not as difficult as it might sound.
Good luck,
Dirk

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”