McGuinn's Rickenbacker Banjo

Those who flock to The Byrds
dusty

McGuinn's Rickenbacker Banjo

Post by dusty »

Does anybody have any information on this? I saw a picture of him from the Sweetheart Of The Rodeo era, and he was holding it. I've heard about these, but only that they existed. Does anybody know much about them?
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

They're fun, but I'm not a very good banjo player. If you are, and you want to sound like you're playing a toaster-driven Ric even though you're playing a banjo, then seek one out. Although, come to think of it, I've seen maybe ONE for sale...
dusty

Post by dusty »

Yeah, I've never seen one for sale before. I play banjo, in addition to everything else, and thought a Rick banjo would be amazing. I assume they're a high-end purchase?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

The last one I saw for sale a couple of months ago (apparently sold now) was priced at $2400. The name of the instrument is "Bantar".
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
242_foxtrot

Post by 242_foxtrot »

Hey Dusty.I talked to Roger about this very subject about a year ago. The Bantar that Roger was playing was Doug Dillard's. He played with the Byrds on that 1968 European tour. What was really interesting, Roger told me that he originally owned Doug's Bantar. There is a few pictures of Doug playing with The Byrds from that tour. Some with the Bantar and some with a standard Gibson banjo.
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

Bantars are out there; I bought one this year. As KH said, they're fun. Keep looking and you'll find one.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

"Here he is, come to pay homage to the Rickenbacker display!" (Said to me by owner Bruce at the "Great House of Guitars" in Rochester, NY)
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

Hey! That's kinda...gross...
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Gross is NOT the word!
"Here he is, come to pay homage to the Rickenbacker display!" (Said to me by owner Bruce at the "Great House of Guitars" in Rochester, NY)
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Gross!
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
varmint

Post by varmint »

COOL! I like the checkerboard binding!
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

terrific custom artwork
??

Horrific maybe :-P

scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

If you damage that TRC, could you return it to Rickenbacker for a replacement one?

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”