12 Saddle bridge installation

Those who flock to The Byrds
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Very cool, thanks for the info.

Misintonation as part of the “jangle” huh? Had not heard that one before. All my prior-to-purchase research claimed it was the “toasters.” So some bucks later . . .
Then after that, I was informed, that a compressor was the secret to the “jangle.” And then some bucks after that. And so on.

No, I don’t think I’ll ever get close to a 1950s Tele. But a quick Google search backs you up.

I do own (don’t laugh) a Squire version Telecaster. For a very cheap guitar I am pretty impressed. Meets my needs.

Quick related story. . .
I own six electric guitars, two acoustic guitars and four basses (plus assorted amps and other stuff). One day my wife was giving a guest a tour of our house, including a trip up to my studio where a bunch of my instruments were lying around. The guest says to my wife, it is “very nice of your husband to let the members of his band, keep their guitars at your house.” My wife then, of course, corrected the guest that all the guitars actually belonged to me.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

I'd use one of those smaller hammers with the plastic faces for this job. Much less chance of dinging the saddle where you don't want to.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

A plastic face hammer is much softer than the string. It is doubtful that it would be effective for this task.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

You don't think it could drive the string hard enough to make a mark?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The material of the head will deflect around the string and absorb the force of the blow without driving it into the saddle.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Fair enough. It made sense in my head, but I'll defer to real-world experience. :^)

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”