Who wants to convert my higains?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Sergio,

How's it coming friend? No rush, just curious.

Cole
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Here I am, Cole. My apologies for not having replied sooner. Well, right now all polepieces have been removed from your pickups. My idea is to cut off the rivet heads and use the shafts for polepieces - it definitely can be done. Still, be aware that said shafts are much narrower and hence string bending will result in loss of signal, much like on the so-called 'screw shaft', earlier high-gain pickups (1969/1970).
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Thanks Sergio, got your email also. Feel free to experiment around if you want. I'm sure others are following this thread, they might glean some helpful information.

Cole
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Sergio, got the pickups in the mail today. I'll install them later and give a full report. Once again Thank You! BTW, they look very good. RIC should think of offering this option. I think there would be quite a market for them IMO.

Cole
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sergio to the rescue once again.

The high-gain in Spain stays mainly in the plane. I think he's got it.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Cole:
At your service.

Peter:
You got it - I definitely got it haha!
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

OK, I've installed the pickups back in the 340. I notice no differance in tone or gain. No loss of signal with extreme string bends. A super higain pickup that looks like a toaster top. Very professional serivce. Informative emails. Fast shipping. Well done Sergio!

Cole
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I've got a 6 pole high gain that had the buttons shaved and a toaster cover put on it that I got from Jeff Rath. When I change strings on my new 330/12 BBR for the first time, I'll be taking one of those high gains off it to measure and compare inductance readings AC resistance etc. but have to believe than any difference would be slight and probably would affect the inductance mostly, due to the increased metal content in the toaster cover. I'll post about it when I get to that point.

Glad to hear that your high gain/toaster works and sounds well JC.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Thanks Cole.
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

So Sergio, is this one of the "arcane creations" you spoke of over in the basses section? If so... I might not be able to resist! Image
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

No, definitely. By 'arcane creations' I meant the pickups I build from scratch, even though they're not that arcane haha.
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Consider my interest strongly piqued. I fear no arcanity, or were it arcaneness? Image
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”