Songwriting Instruments

Putting music theory into practice
blue_meanie

Post by blue_meanie »

I have actually used my ukulele to write a blues composition and it worked fine, different, but still a way of writing.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Sometimes I use an acoustic guitar, sometimes I use a banjo, and sometimes I use a computer. The lyrics tell me what to use.

JimK
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Glockenspiel and autoharp.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Add Tympani to Paul's list.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Just missed a perfectly good autoharp on Craigslist for $30...Doh! " pushing through the market square..." !

I'd love to have an autoharp in the mix.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

I no longer write on electrics. The song has to pass the "acoustic test" first. If the song sounds great acoustically, including lead work, it transforms fabulous electrically. Doesn't always work the other way around. I keep a Martin Backpacker up at work. At home I write on my Gibson J160E or Martin HD-28V.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

The song has to pass the "acoustic test" first. If the song sounds great acoustically, including lead work, it transforms fabulous electrically. Doesn't always work the other way around.

Yup, suspected as much. I don't have my RIC yet, but I've been fooling around with old Byrds hits like "Feel A Whole Lot Better When You're Gone" and it works on an acoustic guitar all right.

JimK
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Each instrument can inspire in it's own fashion as can effects...want to write a Byrds like tune..pick up the Ric 12 string and plug into the jangle box..blues..strat and a tweed or blackface Fender...psych...fuzz and rotovibe...surf...reverb on 10...acoustic guitars are good also!
Reverb set to stun !!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

blues..strat and a tweed or blackface Fender...

...or a Gibson (Lucille)

But I'd be weird a play the blues on a RIC 360 6 string with hi-gains through a Fender tweed.
JimK
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Paul W can do it...he sounds like Michael Bloomfield..sort of!
Reverb set to stun !!
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I prefer writing on my custom xenophobe. I mean cellophane, I mean xylocaine, I mean jew's harp, uhh, oops, lamellaphone!
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

I've written probably 95% on acoustic guitar, the rest on piano. Although ideas form in my head, and sometimes the songs get written quite a long way while driving or walking or showering, it always coalesces with an instrument. Never wrote a whole song without playing something.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Once in a while I write on bass. It leaves all further instrumentation wide open. In the first stages, writing on bass can help build a nice melody without full chords getting in the way. Write chords last.

Then the song has to pass the "acoustic test". Image
sharkboy

Post by sharkboy »

I have written songs on numerous instruments. As a friend would put it, I play piano like a hoofed animal and I was a wreck at Chapman stick, but I have written songs on them. I'm more comfortable on bass and more yet on guitar, but with similar tunings on a fret board they have a tendency to allow me to fall into familiarity zones. I write much differently on different instruments.

Charly, I think some people think I write my songs on a Cacophone.

For me, a song isn't a song unless it does pass that acoustic test, however. I'm not used to being like other people. Hmmm, maybe I should go back to making them pass the chainsaw test or the Rorschach test or the Wonderlic test.
"rubber heads don't dent easily"
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

For me it's (usually) an acoustic...either a Baby Taylor, my old Takamine Martin D18 copy or a Martin D-12-20 from about '71-'72.

Funny, but being a bass player, I NEVER start out a song with writing a bass part unless the lick is the predominant thing on my mind....bass parts are usually last with me.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”