Searchers on youtube

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
lizzie

Re: Searchers on youtube

Post by lizzie »

Yeah I know you only put Johnny whats his name in the team to beat us. He can only kick, they should take him out in the first 5 mins then we would have a chance.
Just as a side issue my grandmother came from Sunderland so I have an English heritage, also grandfather from Cornwall.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Pam

Get your son to get clips on You Tube as soon as possible, I can advise if needs be, actually I recently submitted an article for Searchers Appreciation Society magazine in which I listed every Searchers clip available on you tube at time of compiling and gave link.

A few weeks later 100's of vids were removed for breach of copyright, I happen to know who took the action but won't go into that here.

Some clips are slowly re-appearing thanks to the sterling work of a young man who contributes to Clough Classics and this forum occasionally.

So get them while you can.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

actually I recently submitted an article for Searchers Appreciation Society magazine in which I listed every Searchers clip available on you tube at time of compiling and gave link.
A few weeks later 100's of vids were removed for breach of copyright, I happen to know who took the action but won't go into that here.
Ah oui, the bad side of sharing the joy with the world. :( Bob's profile was also removed from youtube. I was wondering what happened and why the large part of Searchers' vids disappeared from the site. That's sad, cause youtube was the only way for me to see these vids, they don't show them on TV.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

I did wonder about the copyright thing. The problem with copyright is it is only applicable if you can buy the stuff or it is still in print/on cd,dvd etc. These geeks scream copyright everytime someone wants to share what cannot be obtained by anyother fashion. Be okay if the owner was willing to sell a copy for a fair price and it's not like WE are all making money out of this. It's old it's got a limited value to a small number of people why not share it :?
goodoledays

Post by goodoledays »

Ah, the wonder of Youtube. Thanks to Roy for his comments. I am the "sterling young man" he speaks of. Formerly BobbyveeFan, I had over 300 videos until they kicked me off for a measly 3 videos that infringed copyright. I'm back on again, as VeeFan1963, although I only did it because many people rely on videos such as mine to get through the day, and I didn't want anyone to suffer! Although the next time I get kicked off, I'm not going back again, final straw. Although someone else will be there to post rare stuff in my place. Circle of life I guess.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

So what is stopping this material being put on a DVD and distibuted. Even if it had to be paid for surely those with the copyright would like to make some money and as I said before not all of us have the wear with all to download it from You Tube. Something odd here. I for one would like to be able to purchase the stuff legititamately (yeah I know spelling is dreadful but too late on a Friday arvo)
goodoledays

Post by goodoledays »

What is stopping a major DVD release is mainly the costs. First, the rights to the video has to be paid, then the rights for the audio, then the video has to get final clearances, so if it's not a major release, such as a Searchers compilation DVD, no-one has that kind of money. The price would be insane. If you want a compilation of Searchers material, you have to get it from collectors, and it's not that hard if you look in the right places.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Accept the point but I am not sure it is the cost. There has been plenty sixties DVDs released which if same theory was applied would never be released.

In some cases because a certain someone owns the copyright they probably take the view that you should not be able to watch it for free.

Fact is regretfully no major player in the world of DVD releases would think about releasing a Searchers compilation DVD, mainly because they probably feel there would be no demand to make it commercially viable.

There is a good source for 60's DVDs though not official releases and a new Kinks compilation has just emerged over 2 hours of old footage.

Let's hope a Searchers one emerges, other than that just have to transfer the hours of video to DVD something I have been intending to do for 2 years but never got round to it.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

That position of copyright owners reminds me of a "dog in the manger". And looks like that right place Bob's talking about isn't located in my country. I always thought of youtube as a great possibility to watch the videos that i probably would have never seen otherwise. Oh well. It may become a "pay-to-see" thing in the future, but i ain't sure there would be all those great vids there then.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
goodoledays

Re: Searchers DVD

Post by goodoledays »

Roy, believe me, the main reason is the cost.

If a company decsides to promote a DVD of The Searchers,(weither it's a biogrpahy with new and old footage, or just a straight issue of mid sixties clips) get it in stores, run ads for it, many people would buy. Problem is, this costs two or even three times what a normal release would cost.

IF you conect with the right sort of people, many of the sort you can find on Youtube, you can get material. Normal going rate is $20 for a 2 hour DVD. Full shows or clips, whatever. It's not legal, but it's the only way to get the stuff. And no rights have to be paid. So in the end, you (the buyer) wins, the seller wins also, it's just the major corporation that loses out. And possibly The Searchers, but not so much, because the royalties they would get aren't that much anyway.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Yeah it has what in our family has commonly become the 'humm' factor. I can see where all are coming from re costs but the people who own the copyright could be doing something about it by putting it out there themselves. Most of the dvds, cds etc are self marketed or done by companies who buy the rights then sell them cheaply to get volume sales for profit. Doing them up and selling them on the net would be the most economical way to do it. I'm a bit surprised that someone hasn't seen the niche market and done something with it. Even if they sold them at concerts etc and slung a fee to the guys out of the sales and also made it available through the fan club and someone on the forums.
I dunno maybe it is cost prohibitive but I really don't think they would need to do much advertising just let a few fans know and it would roll around the world via the internet.
Again I must admit I do get a bit anti with these people who scream copyright but don't or won't make the stuff available for sale.
Okay I've had my spit for the month
Cheers all :?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

lizzie wrote:Just an add on to the last posting. Mike B. you're into Aussie 60s music. You didn't happen to front a band back then or were part of one. Name rings bells. Knew a few from then, Normie Rowe, Peter Doyle, Tony Worsley, and some local bands in Brisbane. Might have some photos you would be interested in. Good to see a few Aussies putting in their two pence worth. We need to become a bit more high profile round the world
Hi Pamela,
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. The Mike Brady you are thinking of is if from a Melbourne trio called MPD Ltd. They had a couple of hits back in the 60's. Later on Mike Brady became quite successful writing jingles and the Aussie Rules anthem " Up There Cazaly. "
rickosound

Post by rickosound »

A live performance of a pretty good song. Somewhere, we think John Lennon was quoted as saying this was his favorite song on the English charts (probably in the summer of 1963). Mike Pender appears to be playing a 1993(?).

We're not experts on the Searchers, but we think this Australian tour in 1966 was basically when Chris Curtis left the band, so this could be one of his final performances with the group. Frank Allen talks about this in his book, which may be discussed elsewhere in the catacombs of this forum.

On a mildly related topic, we note the Dave Clark Five has been elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. No complaints from us. They had some good songs, and maybe this will arouse RRHF interest in some other premier British bands from the same era. We've looked, and we can't find a single YouTube entry where the DC5 are really playing live. There are a couple of songs where Dave Clark appears to be banging his drums live, or where MIke Smith (who did have a wonderful voice) is singing live over the recorded song. No one else is plugged in, so it's the kind of primitive deception that might have gone on in the early days of network television. The DC5 obviously did play live on their tours, so they must have been capable musicians. Still, Dave Clark was no fool. If he wasn't letting his band play live on TV, we think he was probably concerned that they may not have sounded as good as the band that played on same show the week before or the week later.

Our point? Those bands that had the courage to play live 45 years ago, when TV sound systems were barely developed for rock music, deserve credit, and are more inspirational today in this YouTube era. The Searchers and the Hollies, among others, deserve recognition and consideration for the RRHF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szb4vfrQm-s
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Whilst it states Live not 100% pre-recorded almost certainly, but live not sure.

You are correct that Lennon stated Sweets was his favourite record, though I think he qualified that by stating by a Liverpool band, did the trick though sales took off after the comment.

Chris Curtis left the band shortly after this performance.
miamiric

Post by miamiric »

Looks live to me, although everyone "plugged in" no amps prominent. Reminiscent of early Ed Sullivan Beatle appearances, wonder if anyone remembers the microphone mix fiasco on one of those shows. I have the greatest respect for all the 60's bands who put there performance in the hands of TV soundmen, they never dreamt we would be analysing the results all these years later. Although all of them were accomplished live performers, being aware that you were being beamed to hundreds of thousands viewers and not the few hundred at the local city theatre, must of rattled the nerves somewhat.

I too would love to see any live footage of DC5, Dave Clark has certainly protected their place in history by retaining the rights to all their material and releasing only heavily edited/spliced video appearances, none live. I believe Mike Smith was finally released from hospital just prior to Christmas after four long years of recovery from an accident sustained at home.
"TOO OLD TO ROCK TOO YOUNG TO DIE"

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”